Cracking weekend in Wales.

Just got back from a cracking weekend of laning in Wales.

Mud, river crossings and more MUD!!!!!!

Big thanks to the HILLBILLIES (Ireland) and the rest of the UK HILLBILLIES, cant wait for KERRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(photos to follow when i've had some kip!)

Hi Mike all got home ok, had a great weekend, thanks to everyone, Tommys Farm was the biz, hopefully we will all get there next year, anyway there is always Kerry,

k

Well Trev its like this.....

You know my wonky knee? well it gave way when i was getting out of Stringys truck on to what i thought was a grass verge.

I slipped down a bank into a mud/water filled ditch,.... much laughter and video catching the moment.

Winched out i mean pulled out to find i had landed on a glass jar someone had dumped.

Very lucky that my "trim" body mass did not break the glass (we were miles from the nearest hospital)

so with wrenched poorly knee, arse stinging like no ones business,and dripping wet clothes i got back in the truck with Stringy telling me to "hurry up and stop messing around"

Nice "comfortable" 3/4 hour drive back to West Sussex! in the luxuary series!!!!!!!!!!

But it was a brill weekend!!!!!

P.S. wanna see me bruise????????????

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:;)

P.P.S. so i hope you will understand the delay in the photos?

Well Trev its like this.....

You know my wonky knee? well it gave way when i was getting out of Stringys truck on to what i thought was a grass verge.

I slipped down a bank into a mud/water filled ditch,.... much laughter and video catching the moment.

Winched out i mean pulled out to find i had landed on a glass jar someone had dumped.

Very lucky that my "trim" body mass did not break the glass (we were miles from the nearest hospital)

so with wrenched poorly knee, arse stinging like no ones business,and dripping wet clothes i got back in the truck with Stringy telling me to "hurry up and stop messing around"

Nice "comfortable" 3/4 hour drive back to West Sussex! in the luxuary series!!!!!!!!!!

But it was a brill weekend!!!!!

P.S. wanna see me bruise????????????

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:;)

P.P.S. so i hope you will understand the delay in the photos?

So you all had a very eventful weekend though perhaps not in the way you had hoped.

PS No, I'm not sure I do want to see your bruise :D

Err excuse me, what is going on here? :angry:

Surely good green lane driving practise is to drive on one set of tracks not creating new ones??? :huh:

When the people who were driving turn up, ask them, I was only the passengering photographer :huh:

We were parked up at the time, got back into "formation" after the pics were taken.The tracks were also pretty cut up by the time we got there.

But i am sure KKK2 or Tonk will correct me if i am wrong.

firstly I am not the greenlaning usage police but you can see how a photo like that can be (mis)interpreted and used as ammunition by the anti-4x4 lobby.

I'll let you off this time :P

It does raise an interesting question where there is a wide-ish road and several equally used tracks; should one drive in one set of tracks with the potential of making them deeper or to use another set to allow the other set of tracksto recover?

now discuss! :unsure:

It does raise an interesting question where there is a wide-ish road and several equally used tracks; should one drive in one set of tracks with the potential of making them deeper or to use another set to allow the other set of tracksto recover?

now discuss! :unsure:

I would have thought given that the lane was clearly defined between the banks that the usage of the whole lane would cause less damage overall to the ground.

As a country lad brought up on a farm we would never use the same track twice when driving on soft ground this meant the ground had a chance to recover where as if the same track is used every time then you get deeply cut tracks which stay for ever. :D

For future reference folks please don't post pictures of more than 5 vehicles laning together.

Its damn poor form laning en-mass given the flack we get from the Rambling types. I know there is actually no harm in 10 vehicles travelling nose to tail at times but photos such as those above can be used against us.

Will B)

slight problem, you left one photo that shows five trucks, and another photo shows suddenly a WHITE TRUCK, so any half intelligent dim wit should be able to add 5 and 1 together, shall I delete another? :huh:

So you broke into several small groups to minimise the envornmental and visual impact did you. Good boys :)

So you broke into several small groups to minimise the envornmental and visual impact did you. Good boys :)

It would seem that my knowledge of true greenlaning practices are obviously flawed, so I have taken to looking at photo's else where within this forum. And they have been most educating!

Firstly I have learnt, when in a forest, floor-it and throw mud from those tyres, this is obviously a good tactic for the environment, afterall it helps to spread the soil into those tree's where the soil must be poor from lack of light.

Secondly, I have learnt, when it has rained for three days with torrential force, go green laning and find a river that is so swollen it has risen by easily ten feet and covered the track in three feet of water hey! all those petrol stations moaning about blocked jet washers due to us dumping a ton of mud when ever we use their facilities, thats sorted their problems and all is happy!

thirdly, I was reminded of the importance once again when in a forest, leave the track and get it stuck in the drain at the side and require strops fitted at the back to pull you back on the track afterall, those drains only stop the track filling with water, and thats BAD!!!!!!

I was starting to tire as my brain was overflowing with such knowledge and grateful for such pictures being posted on this forum for everyone and hopeful that the anti mob will also see these photo's to show them that we only have the environment at heart :lol:

I would have thought given that the lane was clearly defined between the banks that the usage of the whole lane would cause less damage overall to the ground.

As a country lad brought up on a farm we would never use the same track twice when driving on soft ground this meant the ground had a chance to recover where as if the same track is used every time then you get deeply cut tracks which stay for ever. :D

well that is the question. There is a part of the ridgeway that would fall into the above category except the path boundaries are about 40 ft wide and the whole width has been churned up. I did try to keep to one side when driving it. So it is a tradeoff between depth and width.

... and before anyone start to use this post as evidence that off-raod vehicle wear down tracks, well of course they do. Just like cars wear down roads and and hoove bridleways and boot footpaths. It is an inevitablity of usage but I'm trying to solicit ways for the least impact.