Listing to the port side...

OK. So my 1990 110 Defender leans to the near side more than all those of my mates. I've just replaced the front springs, shocks, turrets etc (did the back shocks at the same time) in the hope that would sort it out as I guessed the whole lot was probably just knackered after +200K miles and 17 years. It didn't cure it (although the ride is improved).

My other options are replace the rear springs as well or perhaps the chassis is bent?

Any idease anyone?

:blink:

all four are colour coded.

110 drivers front has double white stripes

110 passanger front has double yellow

110 drivers rear has red stripe (heavy duty) or blue stripe (levelled)

110 passangers rear has red and green (heavy duty) or green and white (levelled)

90's are different colours to 110's.

drivers front are blue and green

drivers rear are blue and red or green yellow and red unlevelled heavy duty

passangers front is blue and yellow and

passangers rear are yellow and white or green yellow and white heavy duty unlevelled.

people say they are to counteract a heavy driver and a full tank of fuel , im also under the impression that its to counteract the engines torque when pulling heavy loads under strain.

its perfectly normal for them to list though.

could you put a spring spacer in at the seat of the spring, at the correct width to correct your problem at all?

Is it level when you sit in it? :rolleyes:

The extra spring in the drivers side is supposed to allow for the driver.

Aah, so many helpful comments. I'm deeply touched. Answering from the last response back,

Yes, it's level when I sit in it... until someone gets in the passenger side. And if the tilt is designed in why is it only apparent on some and not others?

Yes, I could put a spring spacer in... but wouldn't that be treating the symptom and not the problem?

I'm confused by the coloured spring options... you mean there is a levelled or not levelled choice?! Why? And which is right?

Seriously though. Thanks chaps. I'm going to hunt out a Defender spring guru. Scorpion racing? Paddock? Craddock? Suggestions please?

Firstly I would check that you don't have a broken spring or collapsing spring mounts. Chassis is unlikely to be bent, but possible if it has been in a big shunt.

It is worth pointing out that the coil sprung Landrovers had different springs left and right from their introduction in 1983 up to approximately the introduction of the 300tdi models.

I suspect Land Rover got fed up with complaints about leaning Landrovers, because they then started making them with the same length/spec springs on both sides.

This is an extract from the 1996 300tdi defender manual :

ROAD SPRING DATA

110 (3050 Kg)

Front - both sides NRC 8045 Yellow/yellow

Rear - both sides NRC 6904 Red/green

110 Levelled (2950 Kg)

Front - both sides NRC 8045 Yellow/yellow

Rear - both sides NRC 7000 Green/white

I have a 1985 110, and I have changed my springs for the same both sides at the front, and added a spacer under the shorter spring at the rear to make it sit level.

Adding a spacer won't make any difference to the handling,because the spring rate is the same regardless of length.

It is also worth pointing out that when you buy pattern springs from an aftermarket supplier, they will usually sell you the 'older' spec set of uneven length springs. This will mean it leans to the left.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Diff