H14 as centerwinch

Hendrik

I'm looking to put a H14 mechanical as an extra winch in the center of the truck. Cable will come out only at the front.

Anyone tips to get a propshaft to the winch? most of the pto's I have seen go to the front, but I want it to go to the rear.

Thanks for your advise!

regards

Hendrik

You will also need to be careful about how you link up the winch other wise you will end up with 1 forward winching speed (reverse on your main gearbox - very slow.....) and five reverse winching speeds (1st to 5th..).

Also if you turn the winch around to get the input shaft to face the front of the vehicle/pto unit the winch input shaft will be on the drivers (UK) side of the vehicle - not to handy for the PTO on the other side...

I suppose you could get around this by locating the winch so that the winch input shaft faces the rear of the vehcile. It will then be on the same side as the PTO unit. Then run a drive shaft under the winch and use a chain box to run the drive up to the winch - It will then give you 5 forward and 1 reverse winching speeds as per normal.

Alternatively you could modify the winch gearbox so that the input shaft comes out of the other side of the worm gearbox. You would need a new seal carrier on one side and blanking plant for the other side. This would get the winch input shaft facing the PTO unit. But you would need to reverse the direction of the PTO to get the 5 forward and 1 reverse shaft.

Either way not a small task....

Adrian

You will also need to be careful about how you link up the winch other wise you will end up with 1 forward winching speed (reverse on your main gearbox - very slow.....) and five reverse winching speeds (1st to 5th..).

Also if you turn the winch around to get the input shaft to face the front of the vehicle/pto unit the winch input shaft will be on the drivers (UK) side of the vehicle - not to handy for the PTO on the other side...

I suppose you could get around this by locating the winch so that the winch input shaft faces the rear of the vehcile. It will then be on the same side as the PTO unit. Then run a drive shaft under the winch and use a chain box to run the drive up to the winch - It will then give you 5 forward and 1 reverse winching speeds as per normal.

Alternatively you could modify the winch gearbox so that the input shaft comes out of the other side of the worm gearbox. You would need a new seal carrier on one side and blanking plant for the other side. This would get the winch input shaft facing the PTO unit. But you would need to reverse the direction of the PTO to get the 5 forward and 1 reverse shaft.

Either way not a small task....

Adrian

A friend of mine had a similar problem of 1 pulling and 5 payout speeds after centremounting a standard front winch. I gave him a 2 shaft spur gearbox(actually a modified 2 1/4 litre oil pump) to attach between the PTO and the winch input shaft to reverse the rotation. A small (mini?) differential with the carrier bolted to the chassis and the pto shafts driving through the sidegears will acheive the same result and should last ok if it is packed with grease and then wrapped up.

Bill.

A friend of mine had a similar problem of 1 pulling and 5 payout speeds after centremounting a standard front winch. I gave him a 2 shaft spur gearbox(actually a modified 2 1/4 litre oil pump) to attach between the PTO and the winch input shaft to reverse the rotation. A small (mini?) differential with the carrier bolted to the chassis and the pto shafts driving through the sidegears will acheive the same result and should last ok if it is packed with grease and then wrapped up.

Bill.

Ooops, brain was lislocated !

Sorry meant to say

Friend of mione has done this and pulled the winch apart putting it back so as to change the rotation of the winch, hence when then driven from the rear facing PTO the box turns the correct <wrong> way if that makes sese :huh::lol:

Nige

Dumb question time..................... :unsure:

If you had to spool the cable the other way round would'nt that work as well................. :ph34r:

Sorry but i just got curious while fiddling with a pen and a rubber band.................. :)

Grem

Dumb question time..................... :unsure:

If you had to spool the cable the other way round would'nt that work as well................. :ph34r:

Sorry but i just got curious while fiddling with a pen and a rubber band.................. :)

Grem

IIRC there are strength issues as you're putting load on the side of the gears that isn't designed to take it. Paul Wightman did the reversed conversion a while ago and Moglite is going to be doing it soon. It might be worth giving one of them a shout to ask what's involved.

IIRC there are strength issues as you're putting load on the side of the gears that isn't designed to take it. Paul Wightman did the reversed conversion a while ago and Moglite is going to be doing it soon. It might be worth giving one of them a shout to ask what's involved.

Found the solution, bought Paul Wightman's winches a while ago and now going to install the rear one on the PTO, but with an additional gearbox to be able to improve the winchspeed!

keep you posted about the project!