Head gasket

Hi

Has anyone any idea's about head gaskets?

Coolant running through far too quickly, over heating & cold air blowing from the vents - presuming head gasket problem unless anyone can correct me?

I know this is supposed to be a common fault but has anyone any idea's of how expensive its going to be to fix?

Any recommendations for any good garage's in the north west? Warrington, Manchester, Liverpool area??

Given the history with my last landrover garage - dont think it would be a would idea to return to him!!!! :blink:

Many thanks in advance.

Ange.x

Hi

Has anyone any idea's about head gaskets?

Coolant running through far too quickly, over heating & cold air blowing from the vents - presuming head gasket problem unless anyone can correct me?

I know this is supposed to be a common fault but has anyone any idea's of how expensive its going to be to fix?

Any recommendations for any good garage's in the north west? Warrington, Manchester, Liverpool area??

Given the history with my last landrover garage - dont think it would be a would idea to return to him!!!! :blink:

Many thanks in advance.

Ange.x

about 600 quid! thats providing you have not completly cooked the engine, i'd stop driving it now if i were you.

This lot (LRC) seem to be very friendly although I have only bought parts from them so can't vouch for their repair work. They may also be a bit to far south for you as they are in Congleton near junction 17 of the M6.

I would also recommend not using it until you can confirm it is actually a failed head gasket as you could wreck the engine.

Pete.

I would also recommend not using it until you can confirm it is actually a failed head gasket as you could wreck the engine.

That is crucial advice!

I had a Rover 400 with a K-series engine. The HG failed on that but luckily we caught it early.

Cheers

Blippie

• 2 weeks later...
That is crucial advice!

I had a Rover 400 with a K-series engine. The HG failed on that but luckily we caught it early.

Cheers

Blippie

Not sure where you are but i`ve just had some work done on my disco at Crewe Engines, i took the head of and dropped the whole thing off there and they performed the following:

Chemical de-carb cyl head

Pressure test cylinder head

Reface cylinder head

Labuor to strip,clean & rebuild

All for a reasonable £246 inc vat. thier number is 01270 526333

I hope this will be of some help to you.

Foxminer

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Just to let you know Freelander started first time, with no bangs or clatters, and running nice. ABS light is on, but some where it says is may go out above 5mph, which I can't do as daughters car is on axle stands in front. Just got to get a dipstick and cam cover breather hose.

So for those out there told by a main dealer your Freelander needs a new engine take heart. I have't done anything like this before. I invested in a haynes manual, read it and read it again, took advice given by kind people on ths forum and repaired it so far, for about £100. Didn't skim the head ,but did check it using a straight edge and feeler gauges.

Many Many thanks to all

Mike