Same travel as three link?

Lewis

Guest diesel_jim

on pirate4x4 it's quite a common conversion... like you say, rather floppy though, and i don't want to think how it would handle on tarmac

on pirate4x4 it's quite a common conversion... like you say, rather floppy though, and i don't want to think how it would handle on tarmac

Why?

On tarmac you put the bolt back in (if it will go!).

I have one of those on my trucks and it seems alright so far. On the road i lock it up and it handles as it did without it. It is a bit of a bi*ch to get the bolt in and out, i have found the easiest way to do it is with a bottle jack. I also fitted two grease nipples into it and pump some nice expensive red graphite stuff grease into it each time i wash the truck off and go around it (usually after every day out)

On the flexing front, i am currently running it with ome springs and ome 11.5" shocks, and it just dislocates the springs. So it is helping slightly, but is rectricted by the shocks. I now have some 14" shocks and am having some turrets and disclocation cones made which let it flex more i am hoping, it sould be done in a couple of weeks so i will keep you up to date.

I will be going 3 or 4 link soon when someone comes up with a good system which i can afford!

Chris

Guest diesel_jim
Why?

On tarmac you put the bolt back in (if it will go!).

yeah, i realise that on black-top you'd put the bolt back in, i just wondered what it would drive like...

apparently on braking it's pretty horrendous.

You get pretty much the same effect for free if you simply remove the front bolt from the standard left hand side radius arm. It is also a lot easier to refit once you have finished playing as long as you park on reasonably flat ground. Check to make certain that your brake hoses don't get stretched when articulating though ,because the standard shock absorbers won't necessarily limit travel before the hoses get ripped off. With either method axle tramp control is compromised considerably unless you fit harder less compliant bushings to the right hand side radius arm and reinforce the bracket on the axle housing to cope with the additional loads. Castor angle variation as individual wheels articulate over undulations or with body roll when cornering hard is also doubled and completely opposite for left and right turns(left turns=positive castor ,right turns= negative castor) aside from spooky unpredictable handling, this can cause the right hand side tyre to foul on the coil spring/shock mount in some instances.

Bill.