Disco/Defender Transfer case.

Les Henson

I have to fit a new LT230 transfer case to a 90 on Friday. The customer ordered the box from Paddocks, who accidentally sent one for a Disco. He phoned them and they said that there are two holes that have to be drilled and tapped for a bracket that's present on a Defender, but not a Disco. Anyone know what they are on about please?

Les.

Guest diesel_jim

Could be for the handbrake bracket Les,

If you look at the back of the t/case (so you're straring at the handbrake drum), just to the right of it, is a bit of the casting that sticks out, on certain models (i think the v8) part of the handbrake bracket bolted to this (2x M8 IIRC)

so you may/may not need to do it, kinda depends on what vehicle you're fitting the box to, and how much modification it's had in the past, and what parts LR decided to fit on the day they built it! :lol:

I have to fit a new LT230 transfer case to a 90 on Friday. The customer ordered the box from Paddocks, who accidentally sent one for a Disco. He phoned them and they said that there are two holes that have to be drilled and tapped for a bracket that's present on a Defender, but not a Disco. Anyone know what they are on about please?

Les.

Les

Could it be the bracket for the earlier type hand brake?

Stuart

Guest diesel_jim
Not sure, I'm familiar with the hand brake cable bracket - 2 on the rear face behind the hand brake backplate, and two on the side with spacer tubes.

Les

I know when i once chanegd the t/case on my old 90 i had to drill and tap these bits, it was an LT85 main box (for a V8) and i changed the transfer box over for a same ratio one (1.4:1)

Not sure, I'm familiar with the hand brake cable bracket - 2 on the rear face behind the hand brake backplate, and two on the side with spacer tubes.

Les

It depends which gearbox the 90 has fitted.

The LT77's had this bracket fitted.

On the 380 gearbox the hand brake cable goes direct into the parking brake back plate.

Stuart

Les

pictures of the handbrake lever bracket & the bolt locations, bracket removed during my X-brake fitting weekend. [lt230 0n my 110]

post-20-1179421459_thumb.jpg

post-20-1179421472_thumb.jpg

post-20-1179421488_thumb.jpg

post-20-1179421504_thumb.jpg

The handbrake linkage on the Disco box is far better than the one on the Defender , It has a large return spring in it which helps to prevent expander sieze ups which are common place on early defenders .And they will fit on a defender cable .

It depends what you use the 90 for , I fitted a Disco Tbox to my 200 90 Which is used only for smoking about in and the odd boat /caravan tow , I noticed a definate improvement , a lot more range through the gears and better top end , on the other hand It some times struggles on an up hill pull away with a boat or caravan on but then you have low box for that .