Suspension Idea

simonr

You're not wrong.

Will - I have some recollection of that - but couldn't remember the actual geometry of it (or if it worked!). Thanks for the lead though.

Si

team_01_d7_lg.jpg

team_01_d2_lg.jpg

team_01_d5_lg.jpg

It seemed to flex well. IIRC in the end they lost out due to a broken driveshaft.

Youre having a live axle after all!

I reckon that you really want the front and rear flex evenly, so In my mind this setup would be less desirable because of stability.

If I were you, I would build your car with de dion axles; I think that is the best solution because it will combine the advantages of both live and indi suspension.

Daan

...If I were you, I would build your car with de dion axles; I think that is the best solution because it will combine the advantages of both live and indi suspension.

Daan

Articulation of a de dion would still be limited by the allowable angle of the u-joints on the drive shafts.

Articulation of a de dion would still be limited by the allowable angle of the u-joints on the drive shafts.

The double ''U''joints of a Unimog steering axle can transmit drive at up to 50 degrees.one of these on each end of even a relatively short driveshaft could permit considerable travel These are simply 2 ''u''joints back to back, with no built in equaliser, so the point halfway between the 2 joints must be concentric with the pivot axis of the suspension swing arms. I haven't really thought about it yet but it would probably be tricky to arrange for this at the wheel end.

Bill

Yes, but the fact that the axle acts as a live axle means there is a lot of camberchange which reduces the angles of the joints. I personally dont see much benefit to get more than 13 inch myself, but thats personal preference.

Daan