Tyre Size

Betsy

Currently I have 750 x16 General SAG's. I want to change the tyres to a radial size, Probably Grabber AT2.

What is the equivalent radial size?

ooooh I used to have them!!! They were feckin lethal in the wet!!!!!

Anyway what he said - 235/85 <_<

Are you sure a 235 is the proper equivalent?

I know an imperial 31.10.50R15 means it's 31" diameter with a 10.5" width on a 15" rim.

Surely a 7.50R16 means 7.50" width on a 16" rim, it just doesn't tell you the side wall height.

But as 1" = 25.4mm then a 7.50 would be equal to a 190 width metric tyre.

A 900 x 16 (9.00R16) would have a width of nearly 230mm so closer to a 235.

Currently I have 750 x16 General SAG's. I want to change the tyres to a radial size, Probably Grabber AT2.

What is the equivalent radial size?

7.50X16 Tyres come in both crossply and radial construction. The radial version is 7.50 R x 16.

The R denotes radial construction.

Regards,

Diff

they're lethal in the carpark at brickiln weren't they jon :ph34r:

Yep, agree with that! dreadful on wet roundabouts :o

Chuffin good in the gloopy stuff though, I doubt the AT2's will be as good in the real thick stuff. But I must have a good compromise on the SAGs.

Yes, but the nearest AT2 is 235.

Ah, see what you mean :) .

I agree with the other posters, 235/85 x16 is the nearest metric equivalent. Height/diameter is about the same but is just over 9 inches wide (at the widest part of the side wall) as opposed to 7.5 inches wide for the 7.50x16.

Suprisingly, many 235/85x16 tyres have almost the same width at the tread as the 7.50x16.

It is worth pointing out that if your current 7.50 tyres are fitted to standard 5.5 inch rims, the proposed new tyres are 'technically' too wide to fit on those rims.

The minimum tyre manufacturer recommended rim width for 235/85x16 tyres is 6 inch. Though many people run them on the 5.5 inch rims without problems.

I have heard that some switched on tyre places have refused to fit 235s to standard rims.

Regards,

Diff

I've ordered them complete with black modular rims. So rim size won't be an issue. Steering stops may need adjusting though. Picking them up next Tuesday. Got the best deal from Nene 4x4.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, got the wheels and tyres fitted. They are a little wider in the sidewall, the tread is also wider. The diameter is slightly smaller than the SAGs, meaning the grearing is slightly reduced, and the GPS speed is about 8mph slower than the speedometer. Thats not a problem, it was 5 mph slow on the SAGS.

The wheels are offset by about 2 inches, this means the edge of the tyre is just about covered by the wheel arch at the front. The car looks great on these wheels and rims, gives it a wider stance. The difference on the road is simply stunning. I can hear noises that I never heard before over the drone of the SAGS, and the steering is much better and precise.

There are no problems with steering lock, as the wheels are offset to cater for the extra width.

The only downside is that the spare wheel mount on the bonnet needs longer studs, and the second spare won't fit the well behind the drivers seat. I also will need to keep an eye on wheel bearings and swivel adjustment because of the extra offset I suppose.