discovery roof console?

discojmz

got a bit of a problem. I'm an IMI accredited audio installer but im having more trouble than its worth, fitting my alpine IPOD link stereo into the stock position in my 200tdi. the unit is a few mm deeper than the stock item on account of its big heatsink on the back, and theres a hell of a lot of cable to fit in there too, not to mention the poor thing cooks above the transmission tunnel there.

I could go through the paintstaking effort of drawing a lot of wire and plugs up inside the dash and hope I never have to have the stereo out again, OR... im hoping some company out there makes a roof console for stereo and/or CB and my lightbar switches etc. I know theres a couple of companies at least that produce one for the defenders, but I've not come across anything for the disco

please help :)

James

got a bit of a problem. I'm an IMI accredited audio installer but im having more trouble than its worth, fitting my alpine IPOD link stereo into the stock position in my 200tdi. the unit is a few mm deeper than the stock item on account of its big heatsink on the back, and theres a hell of a lot of cable to fit in there too, not to mention the poor thing cooks above the transmission tunnel there.

I could go through the paintstaking effort of drawing a lot of wire and plugs up inside the dash and hope I never have to have the stereo out again, OR... im hoping some company out there makes a roof console for stereo and/or CB and my lightbar switches etc. I know theres a couple of companies at least that produce one for the defenders, but I've not come across anything for the disco

James

Not ever seen a roof console, so iam not much help at all :blink:

But what i/my mates with 200d1's have done is to move the stereo and cb to the glove box hole self type thing (which never holds any thing for very long when offroading ;) ) and then where the stereo was is a nice location for which controls light switches etc....

this setup work well for offroading but i guess the cb and stereo could be a bit of a reach if you have short arms :ph34r:

just and idea :rolleyes:

I have never seen anything for the disco, I have to admit. I have seen them done on 200's with a spacer ring sitting round the head unit bezel, but I am not really a fan of that look. As a rather more radical approach, have you considerd fitting a 300 dash or even just the centre console? It would be rather a lot of work, but the head unit position was in a much more conventional place...

Cheers

Mark

This company make them for Discoveries. http://www.consoles.com/Rover_LandDefender_deep.htm

Not sure where they are but flick through the site for ideas and information.

Regards.

S

cheers, only ones for discos on there is a rear roof console, not even sure what it's for

they do these

http://www.consoles.com/Rover_Discovery_dash.htm

but its not really what i had in mind, plus it might constitute obscuring view, not to mention that bit of dash is kinda spoken for

i want to find out how much different this profile is to the disco roofline

6c38_1.JPG

cant be far off.

i know ive fitted a stereo into a roof console on an ex camel disco before, but at the time, i didnt have a disco and didnt care where he got it

That one in the picture is the same as I have in my 130. Made by Outback Imports for ARB. They also make for other vehicles...have you tried contacting them for a Discovery?

I have Disco and Defender...and instalation of the console is a royal pain in the neck...I would want to remove it just for a fitting trial.

Making a profile of the Discovery rooflining would be easy...the console is only plastic. It's fitting the thing in a Disco that worries me.

Fitment of the Defender roof console uses both the rear view mirror screws and a channelled 'C' strut halfway down the length of the roof. I've not seen whats behind the roofliner of a Discovery so couldn't comment on how you would be able to support it....I don't think the front would be a problem but it would be interesting to see how the rear end could be held up.

I used 6mm threaded rivets instead of the reccomended self tappers....but in a Discovery I would know where to start without first seeing the inside of the roof.

That one in the picture is the same as I have in my 130. Made by Outback Imports for ARB. They also make for other vehicles...have you tried contacting them for a Discovery?

I have Disco and Defender...and instalation of the console is a royal pain in the neck...I would want to remove it just for a fitting trial.

Making a profile of the Discovery rooflining would be easy...the console is only plastic. It's fitting the thing in a Disco that worries me.

Fitment of the Defender roof console uses both the rear view mirror screws and a channelled 'C' strut halfway down the length of the roof. I've not seen whats behind the roofliner of a Discovery so couldn't comment on how you would be able to support it....I don't think the front would be a problem but it would be interesting to see how the rear end could be held up.

I used 6mm threaded rivets instead of the reccomended self tappers....but in a Discovery I would know where to start without first seeing the inside of the roof.

yeah, the same thing had crossed my mind. I also dont know what lurks behind the headlining but hopefully someone does cos I dont want to rip mine down. I had thought about bonding if not welding an inch or so wide strip of ally to the lips at each side of the roof on the inside, and again bonding it to a spacer block in the dead centre in order to preserve any roof profile curvature, which could then be drilled and riveted/bolted accordingly if there was no other point of fixing. It looks a great bit of kit and im just shocked nothing seems readily available for us discovery owners.

I've emailed ARB directly to find out what they have to say. I emailed oppositelock because they stocked them, but they were less than forthcoming with any information, more specificially, they didnt have the good manners to even reply

Jim

yeah, the same thing had crossed my mind. I also dont know what lurks behind the headlining but hopefully someone does cos I dont want to rip mine down. I had thought about bonding if not welding an inch or so wide strip of ally to the lips at each side of the roof on the inside, and again bonding it to a spacer block in the dead centre in order to preserve any roof profile curvature, which could then be drilled and riveted/bolted accordingly if there was no other point of fixing. It looks a great bit of kit and im just shocked nothing seems readily available for us discovery owners.

I've emailed ARB directly to find out what they have to say. I emailed oppositelock because they stocked them, but they were less than forthcoming with any information, more specificially, they didnt have the good manners to even reply

Jim

I'm just on the phone to my mate who actually has the liner out of his three door disco. It would appear that there is nothing to fix the rear of the console to.

Bonding a securing point would be your best option...or welding it. The roof is quite flexible and quite often when driving with the windows down I get the occasional buffet wobble from the roof lifting....this would probably play havoc with anything bonded across the width of the roof. If you can weld it then that would be better or perhaps even have something pop riveted across to the in-side gutters? This way you don't have to re-spray the outside of the roof....get my drift?

Regards.

S

bloomin typical. hmm.....

its a hellish expensive bit of kit to take a risk on imo and they very rarely come up second hand. It's definitely something I shall be looking into. for now though, i might just struggle on and make the stereo fit. will see how I get on and if i get any kinda response from ARB

I was lucky to get mine second hand (but never fitted) from Siggy......I paid 150 quid for it.

At Billing I bought one for a mate over here from Deveon 4x4.....200Quid not including the VAT!

I think it would quite simple to get one into a Discovery actually. You'd have to re-profile the sides but it's only plastic and would easy to fettle. Make a cardboard template of the roof lining profile first and transfer it to the roof console.

As discussed earlier...I'd run a brace across the center of the roof attached each side to the inside of the gutter. To this I'd attach the threaded rivets to hold up the rear end of the console.

It really is as simple as that.

Regards.

S.

• 3 months later...

hi,

did you or anyone else have any joy on this matter as this could solve the current dilemma i am facing,as in i really like the radio slot mounted pods for extra dials but cannot do without the radio!

and they look really good in th defenders on that website!

dougie

hi,

did you or anyone else have any joy on this matter

I sold my Defender 130 last week. The guy who bought didn't want half of the extras on the car and as such he let me remove the African Outback roof console before I hand over the keys.

So....now the plan is to try and retro fit it into my Discovery. The roofliner profile is different for a start...but it's a plastic console and I rekon I can make it fit the lines of the roof lining.

Making it stay up is another thing. I'm going to have to drop the roof lining and find a way of securing some mounting points into the roof somehow.

The consept is quite easy.......................

I will of course post updates when I get around to doing this.

S.

James

I tried to use my high end stereo only to find the cd's actually warp and cannot get them out, DO NOT use a decent stereo in the Discovery centre console.