O/Tish GPS to Laptop

Guest WALFY

Guest WALFY

I need to get a lead to connect my GPS (Garmin 12XL) to my laptop to run MM ready for when I go on my hols in a few weeks. Any one have any ideas. The only leads I have found seem to keep mentioning a 9 pin lead. I don't have a 9 pin socket. I have the following sockets.

cookiemonster.jpg

How about Bluetooth? AJL had a neat system in Wales on the 2004 forum laning trip with the GPS talking to the laptop via Bluetooth which gave an on screen moving map display IIRC. If there were any maps of this part of the world in electronic form I'd probably do the same but there aren't so it is a bit wasted :rolleyes:

The nine pin lead might be RS232 serial, I am sure they used 9 pin sockets but are pretty thin on the ground these days since USB came along... it has a crummy transfer rate by modern standards.

You can get serial to USB converters, so you can use the standard rs232 connection to talk to the laptop. That is probably your cheapest solution.

I have GPS mouse and it works pretty well, haven't used it for a bit since I got a PDA set up.

Guest diesel_jim

I've got a 3 way lead for my GPS 3+, got it in maplins in swindon, has the round 4 pin garmin plug on one end, a cigarette lighter socket on t'other, and on the 3rd one an RS232 plug for my laptop (which i've sold.. :rolleyes: )

that was about £30 IIRC

If your laptop has Bluetooth then get a 32 channel bluetooth gps like this.

6a92_1_b.JPG

£32 roughly delivered from a uk seller off ebay. I've had one on trial for a year, and been so impressed, two other of my team members have bought them to run Memory Map with our toughbooks and Ipaqs. Totally driverless and comes with mains, usb and car charger. Also much better reception and ability to hold the signal than the older 12 channel gps's. If you need to go under tree cover, then you will find these so much better. It just sits on the dash with a velcro button. No need to put it outside. Probably the same price as the cable you need, but depends if you have bluetooth!

if you bid on this one though 320115327652 So am I

Good choice... :rolleyes:

As it says... They also use the same form of battery as some of the nokia phones. Quite handy if your phone battery is flat and you forgot your charger.

CF GPS/external antenna I have will now take a rest whilst I see how this performs

Is you old one 12 Channel...? if so, you'll notice the difference when fiddling round places like Bampton or some of those cart tracks you exmoor folk call roads.

Guest WALFY

To start off with I want to use my laptop to run MM. But I want to build a small PC that will fit somewhere in my 90 to run MM. The problem only escalates, as soon as I solve 1 level I want to go to the next level. The only problem is screens of about 7" are a tad expensive.

This is my works beasty:

cf-18.jpg

• Touchscreen and and folds flat back on itself.
  • 1GB SDRAM, 60 GB HDD
  • 10.4" outdoor-readable color LCD swivels for optimum visibility
  • Wifi & bluetooth
  • Full magnesium alloy case with handle
  • Moisture- and dust-resistant LCD, keyboard and touchpad

you might need the Ram mount like mine then to safely hold the laptop while on the road in the 90

these bits

http://www.gpsw.co.uk/altprods.html?ProdID=1989

&

these arms

http://www.gpsw.co.uk/details/prod1956.html [long one]

&

http://www.gpsw.co.uk/details/prod1955.html [short one]

this will let you use laptop when driving with & without a passenger/navigator.

Still haven't got mine sorted out. However, this is a great thread. I getting some idea with all the components involved.

Just a few questions if anyone has a minute.

1. What is MM?

2. GPS receiver -> Bluetooth -> Laptop or cable as described above. Where does the GPS mouse come into this?

3. Software is I take it the MM or something like Oz Explorer? Do you then load one map at a time. For example if your in a forest are you positioned on the screen with a dot or something. What happens when you drive off the page? If you are in a big forest and the screen is green can you zoom out to get your bearings?

4. Does this work alongside paper maps as a reference.

5. When Les Hensen does one of his descriptive photo instruction guides to a job all seems to make sense. Anyone fancy having a go for setup of this system for the less initiated like me? I know if I saw one in action it would probably all fall into place but I don't know of anyone over here, so a forum demo would be the next best thing.

Cheers,

Paul.

Well mm is memory map a fantastic piece of software that displays ordance survay maps of the whole uk on it, when linked to gps you represent a red flshing dot always central in the screen, depending on what hardwre you are using (laptop, pda etc) there is no need to keep loading maps, myself I use a pda so can only have two regions loaded at one time but they are so large i have needed more, Alot of people like to take paper maps as a back up but I feel thats not needed, I bought my software for £20 of ebay but to buy as an original its gonna cost £150 +

Well mm is memory map a fantastic piece of software that displays ordance survay maps of the whole uk on it, when linked to gps you represent a red flshing dot always central in the screen, depending on what hardwre you are using (laptop, pda etc) there is no need to keep loading maps, myself I use a pda so can only have two regions loaded at one time but they are so large i have needed more, Alot of people like to take paper maps as a back up but I feel thats not needed, I bought my software for £20 of ebay but to buy as an original its gonna cost £150 +

Thanks Rob. Is MM only for UK. Do they have anything for the East of Europe?

Cheers,

Paul.

Thanks Rob. Is MM only for UK. Do they have anything for the East of Europe?

Cheers,

Paul.

I am not sure i know they do a copy for france but as for any where else not too sure, I would be more than hapy to send you a copy of the uk if it would be any inerest.

Just had a look at youre web site and looks very interesting could you email me a e-brocure i would love to do that area of europe

rob

Bogmonster, you don't have to wait for electronic maps to be available for nav systems.

Install Ozz Explorer and then scan in the TPCs for the islands (Tactical Pilots Charts). They have no low level topographical info below 1000ft but are accurate and ideal for driving by bearings or old style GPS. TPCs came from Stanfords in London.

I never did this, OZ explorer wasn't available, but I have the Garmin World map in my 162 with large amounts of Saudi full of my own waypoints, tracks and info. If the breadcrumb trail is shown on my map you can drive it.

jw

I am not sure i know they do a copy for france but as for any where else not too sure, I would be more than hapy to send you a copy of the uk if it would be any inerest.

Just had a look at youre web site and looks very interesting could you email me a e-brocure i would love to do that area of europe

rob

Thanks for the offer Rob. Regarding the e-brochure, just click on the image of the brochure on the following link. You can then view in pdf. It does need updating, so my web site gives most info. If you need any help with your trip, just ask.

http://www.transylvania4x4tours.com/html/e-brochure.html

Cheers,

Paul.

If your laptop has Bluetooth then get a 32 channel bluetooth gps like this.

6a92_1_b.JPG

£32 roughly delivered from a uk seller off ebay. I've had one on trial for a year, and been so impressed, two other of my team members have bought them to run Memory Map with our toughbooks and Ipaqs. Totally driverless and comes with mains, usb and car charger. Also much better reception and ability to hold the signal than the older 12 channel gps's. If you need to go under tree cover, then you will find these so much better. It just sits on the dash with a velcro button. No need to put it outside. Probably the same price as the cable you need, but depends if you have bluetooth!

excellent it is to

thanks for the advice

even works indoors!