Automatic Defender Gearbox oil cooler pipe routing

Hi,

Converting my 90 to automatic. Got the gearbox oil cooler and pipe work from ashcroft and can't seem to work out how to route pipes past crankshaft pulley and where the oil cooler mounts. Does anyone have any pictures of a 90 with oil cooler in or how the pipes make it past the crankshaft pulley ????? ( he said hopefully )

I read this a couple of times before the penny dropped.

You'll have the "bog brush" type cooler have you ??

If so the cooler fits on top of the front crossmember. Well thats the way the Discovery and Range Rover ones fit that I've seen.

I used Wolf Gearbox oil cooler pipes and a small oil radiator on mine.

mike FOAK

YES !! It is a free country. As long as you do as you are told.

IIRC it sits in front of the normal radiator, hoses may well pass along the chassis rail.

My pipes pass along the side of the gearbox and are held at the block near the sump under the alternator. Then I have two flexi pips to the oil radiator.

mike FOAK

YES !! It is a free country. As long as you do as you are told.

I recently converted my (V8 110) to autobox with a kit from ashcrofts.

I had the same problem - i eventually worked out where the pipes were supposed to go, and they are a bugger to get in there as you have to slot the front rigid part between the rad & crossmember, then rotate a bit.

They follow along the bellhousing & fixed (in theory!) to the engine on LHS just above the sump.

But they just dont sit right - its like the flex part is too short on the rh pipe.

At the moment i have it the best i could get - i had to make a braket to bolt onto a sump bolt & hold the flex pipes away from the crank pulley.

I think actually i was supplied the wrong pipes. Either these are for a Diesel or for where the engine is in a diff position for some reason.

I will probably get the pipe modified by a local hydralic fitter when i get time.

p.s. i have the radiator (non-bog brush) cooler supplied by ashcrofts, it sits about 1/3 the way up the rad in front.

Just spent yesterday doing mine, so...

Originally, I had one of the mini rad types and couldn't find fittings or anything for it, so gave up. However, the pipework should be the same as the bog brush type (I think the panel coolers were only used on Discos, so may need to model some on RR pipes), but if you have the correct pipes should be easy.

I did use the bog brush type and the Range Rover pipework. It fits like a dream. I mounted the cooler about 1/3 way up the rad. You will see that there is a hole in the inside wing bit on each side. Use this as a guide for your top hole on the cooler mount. For the bog brush one, I drilled a hole level with this but about 10mm further back and then one below for the second bolt, then same on other side. You will need to fabricate a bracket for one side of the cooler because the gap on Defender is clearly a bit wider than RR.

The original RR pipes then fitted perfectly (with only minor shaping!) between the bottom of the rad and the crossmember, just to the left (as viewed from the front) of the right hand rad mount on the crossmember.

The only other thing I needed to do was shorten the original RR rubber conecting tube about 3-4 cm and on mine I had to bend the metal pipes slightly, just after the block fixing on the engine, so that the pipes cleared the PAS pipe.

It did take a lot of planning and mucking about, but if you don't already have one, I wouldn't bother with the fancy looking cooler as it was proving more of a pain to fit, plus as mentioned abouve, I couldn't get fittings for it anywhere (it is some wierd thread).

I was planning on posting some pics on my conversion thread, but have spent the day mucking around with an Ashcroft shifter mounting bracket for my console which, (edited ;) - I am not best pleased with!!!)... and judging by what you guys are saying, seems to fit about as well as their cooler pipes :angry:.

If i remember correctly, mr ashcroft metioned to me that the rad type cooler was superior to the bog brush for some reason. probably cooling efficiency, but then perhaps not as immune to mud as the BB.