Sankey Trailer - Breakaway Cable?

keithjh

Hi All,

After reading the other post about trailers etc, i got to thinking about my trailers, Caravan okay i use a brekaway cable as its braked, flat bed no problems there as its braked i use a cable.

Now i also have a Sankey Rapier Trailer and yes its braked, but how the hell do i fit a break-away cable to it as the hand brake mechanism is halway between the A frame and the road wheel.

Any thoughts ideas etc greatfully accepted.

Regards

keith

look at the handbrake mechanism.. it has a rod running from the bottom of the lever mechanism, to the trailers axle, this rod applies the brakes when you pull the lever up.

if you drill another hole just above the one that the rod is attached to, and fit a breakaway cable to that hole, pulling it will have the same effect as lifting the handbrake lever..

its a bit confusing, but i'm sure it would make sense if its in front of you...

look at the handbrake mechanism.. it has a rod running from the bottom of the lever mechanism, to the trailers axle, this rod applies the brakes when you pull the lever up.

if you drill another hole just above the one that the rod is attached to, and fit a breakaway cable to that hole, pulling it will have the same effect as lifting the handbrake lever..

its a bit confusing, but i'm sure it would make sense if its in front of you...

Wehey! So obvious when you finally see it :)

That's another little job for the list then...

TwoSheds

Are breakaway cables that effective on the older cast couplings, still legal on older trailers.

I would have thought that for the brake to stay on once it has been pulled by the cable the ratchet pawl must be engaged, but it must be disengaged whilst driving otherwise the brakes will not release once applied by the normal overrun action.

Are breakaway cables that effective on the older cast couplings, still legal on older trailers.

I would have thought that for the brake to stay on once it has been pulled by the cable the ratchet pawl must be engaged, but it must be disengaged whilst driving otherwise the brakes will not release once applied by the normal overrun action.

ah one of those little ironies in our legal system - we had an old horse trailer many moons ago with the ratchet and pawl handbrake system, the police advised that to tow it legally it had to have a breakaway cable fitted despite the fact that the mechanism is disengaged before towing the trailer. THe officer admitted it would be innefective but that this would then comply with the law