Roof rack maximum weight

It might be a dumb question but...

... all the literature suggests that the maximum weight that a Defender roof rack can support is 75kg.

Is that really the case? Surely a roof tent with 2 people sleeping in it weighs considerably more (c. 150kg).

I would assume that a roof tent is OK because the vehicle isn't moving so the stress on the upper body is substantially lower than 75kg on the move but those expidition vehicles with fuel, tyres, tents and equipment stowed on the roof must also be pushing the limits.

I have no immediate need to carry HEAVY weights (suppose I could get a roll cage if I needed to do that) but 75kg is a bit limiting.

Any better figures out there?

You are correct. The UK maximum ROOF weight is 75kg. Note ROOF weight. Not roofrack load weight. You have to add the weight of the rack to the load to get the overall roof weight.

Those vehicles you see with all that roof weight are indeed pushing the limits. Why do you think they roll?

Now take yourself to the library or buy a copy of a Land Rover publication called. "Working in the Wild" A Manual for Africa. The maximum roof weight in there is given as 150kg. :o I have yet to work out why.

mike FOAK

YES !! It is a free country. As long as you do as you are told.

I'll add a little more.

It's not so much the roof weight that's the problem. The whole extra weight needs to be distrubited correctly in and on the vehicle.

When I came back from our last trip I put my Defender on a weighbridge. Total weight 2995kg. No fresh water, no food, only a couple of gallons of fuel in the tank. No extra fuel [40 litres] on the roof. We reckon that we normally weighed 3,400kg when travelling. The guy why weighed the Defender said it didn't look heavily laden becaude the load was evenly distrubited.

No fuel or water on the roof behind the rear wheels please. Try to keep that over the drivers head.

My ten bobs worth.

mike FOAK

I would assume that a roof tent is OK because the vehicle isn't moving so the stress on the upper body is substantially lower than 75kg on the move but those expidition vehicles with fuel, tyres, tents and equipment stowed on the roof must also be pushing the limits.

The problem is not the stress on the body sides. They will easily cope with a lot more weight. The problem is that the roof weight change the centre of gravity, and thereby changing the cars handeling characteristics. A car with a heavy roof rack will easyly roll over in a sharp turn or on a side slope.

Doing 'expeditions' with large amounts of lot of fuel and water on the roof is just plain stupid. Water, fuel and spare parts should be stored as close to frame level as possible.

There are LOTS of unused room under and around a defender body. Make some alu boxes to fit in these cavities. Alu can be welded with an ordinary MIG welder, just use aluminium wire, a good quality liner and argon shielding gas. It will not be as good looking weld as a TIG, but with a small amount of practice (and the proper use of a heat sink) it can be made watertight for fuel tanks. Water tanks for drinking water really should be stainless steel - this can also be welded with a MIG, but do it outdoors, the welding fumes form stainless are rather unhealty....

Make a tray and relocate the batteries to a position under the rear body, then you have another seat box room free for spareparts and the other for tools.

On a standard defender body there is room for 2 jerry cans in each side - the same place where other install side lockers.

Thanks guys.

Completely agree with the need to keep the COG as low as possible. I was more concerned about the stiffness of the sides not being able to handle the weight but it sounds like that isn't the issue (hence the ability to put a roof tent on without strengthening the upper body supports).

With a kid on the way, space inside will be at a premium so a roof rack is going to be essential.

Thanks again.

If you are going to get a roof rack look for one with steel/aluminium down the sides (IYSWIM). This spreads the load all along the guttering. I have an Australian Tradesman roof roack and have used on loads of expeditions and it's not broke yet. I don't sleep on it because we don't like roof tents. However I have had 2 people standing on top watching events before.

HTH

Ivan

If you are going to get a roof rack look for one with steel/aluminium down the sides (IYSWIM). This spreads the load all along the guttering. I have an Australian Tradesman roof roack and have used on loads of expeditions and it's not broke yet. I don't sleep on it because we don't like roof tents. However I have had 2 people standing on top watching events before.

HTH

Ivan

DO NOT USE ONE LIKE THAT. You will split the roof three inches back from the windscreen frame especially on a 110. A Defender needs to flex. Holding the guttering stops that flex.

A good roof rack for a 110 Defender can be told by picking one corner up while the rack is on the ground. The other three corners should stay on the ground.

mike FOAK

All I can say is my roof rack has been fitted to my Discover for about 8 years. It's never cracked or been damaged. All the Aussie roof racks are basically the same as mine (even for Defenders). I have seen other roof racks which use separate mounting legs crack on severe corrugations. If you want a good roof rack look at what the Aussies use. Their's are built to withstand the toughest terrain.

Ivan

All I can say is my roof rack has been fitted to my Discover for about 8 years. It's never cracked or been damaged. All the Aussie roof racks are basically the same as mine (even for Defenders). I have seen other roof racks which use separate mounting legs crack on severe corrugations. If you want a good roof rack look at what the Aussies use. Their's are built to withstand the toughest terrain.

Ivan

I don't discount either Austrailian or South African roof racks. In fact I think they are the beat. However in Boswana the cecks from that type of rack were pointed out to me.

Not that I have any experiance of those things though.

A Discovery is put together in a very different way to a Defender and I would expect it to have different problems in the bodywork.

mike FOAK