Workbench height

Guest MJG

About to install a workbench in my shed in order to be able to work on components removed from my Series.

Was just considering what people think would be the best height. It will be used to mount a vice, pillar drill and a small bench grinder.

Was just to go for the same heigh as the units in the kitchen..... any advice apreciated.

Oh and what do folks think is the best material to cover the top in???? I thought sheet stainless steel but I would think that would be expensive and I have no idea where I wold source something like that either...

Thoughts on that too please...

My bench is 36" - I can stand at it and work, or sit on a tall stool. If you are going to regularly beat the carp out of the top of the bench, then a sheet of steel or a replaceable layer of ply would be a good idea. Maybe grease the underside to stop it from rusting away if you use steel, and occasionally wipe the top surface with WD40 to prevent the same.

If you are going to fit a vice, then a spreader plate underneath is wise as bolts through wood come loose in the end.

Les.

My bench is 36" - I can stand at it and work, or sit on a tall stool. If you are going to regularly beat the carp out of the top of the bench, then a sheet of steel or a replaceable layer of ply would be a good idea. Maybe grease the underside to stop it from rusting away if you use steel, and occasionally wipe the top surface with WD40 to prevent the same.

If you are going to fit a vice, then a spreader plate underneath is wise as bolts through wood come loose in the end.

Les.

Cheers Les - 36" is actually a bit taller than our kitchen units but looking at it now I see that would probably be a good height. The same height as the kitchen units is going to be a bit low. I guess kitchen units are at a height to siut the avg. height of the gender that are nornally quite rightly lashed to them :ph34r: :ph34r:

Only joking ladies, but I guess there is some logic in that somewhere.

Like the replacable ply top idea, hadn't thought of that.

Optimum height with your arm bent at right angles your elbow should rest on the top of your vice jaws when you are standing upright.

In Engineering this has always been the standard height, it is optimum for filing and hacksawing.

The top of the vice should be a couple of inches below your elbow

What he said /\ /\.

In my case that puts the benchtop considerably lower than 36" (about 32") but I am altitudinally challenged to the tune of 5'6" <_<

My actual bench is an amazing piece of early sixties office furniture with a 30mm box section frame, excellent HD slidy drawers and a 30mm high-density-melamine-coated-chipboard kinda top. I always intended to cover it with a sacrificial layer of ply, but never got around to it and so far it is lasting well.

TS