Bulkhead outrigger replacement

Hi there,

After cutting the bottom part of the footwell out I discovered quite a rusty bulkhead outrigger under the layers of mud. I'm going to replace it but do not know how much support the bulkhead needs with the outrigger off. Particularly as my floors, tranny tunnel and part of my footwell are currently out of the vehicle. I'm just a little worried the whole thing will drop when I remove the outrigger.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Martin

You bulkhead is also supported by a bracket that comes off the chassis rail inside the engine bay and bolts to the top of the footwell, so it's still supported even when you remove the outrigger bolt. You may find that you need to jack under the bottom of the door pillar on that side in order to remove the bolt. If this is the case then leave the jack in place, cut the old outrigger off, put the bolt through the new outrigger and position it on the chassis and weld it in place - level with the top of the chassis rail. Once welded, remove the bolt, paint the new outrigger, coat the new bolt with metallic-based grease, such is nickel or copper, and then fit it.

Les.

I know I'm going to have to do this job soon. The n/s is patched and the o/s has a small hole visible in the chassis rail. It's 90 and I've heard various tales about how easy it is to get access, with some saying I'll not get access to the top of the chassis rail even with the floor out. I'm not even sure how I could get a 4" grinder in there to cut the old ones off. Has anyone done this on a 90 and what tools / approach did you take.

Cheers Aaron

You will probably have to chop bits off the outrigger until it's all gone. It's fun and games welding the top of it onto the chassis rail too. I cut the footwell with a plasma blade and carefully bend it out of the way, weld the top of the outrigger, bend the footwell back down, and then weld the cuts closed.

Les.