EGR Blanking plate

foxminer

Hello all, i,m thinking of fitting a EGR blanking plate to my TD5 whilst i have the head off for a new gasket. I have read a few subjects on this and it does

have some advantages. What i`m asking is has anybody already done this to thier own disco and did it make a difference?. Any answers will be appreciated.

Foxminer. :D

If the valve is not already jammed open you can blank off the vacuum pipes to the modulator unit with a couple of blind pop rivets and cable ties which is a damn sight cheaper! However if the valve is already jammed open it won't work.

On mine the EGR valve burnt through? I am not sure if the terminology is correct but the exhaust gas escaped and burnt through one of the brake pipes, resulting in no brakes. Fortunately we heard the noice and stopped in time apparently the vehicle can also burn down due to the hot gas escaping into the engine bay. :o This is enough reason for me to blank it of, you can lose the whole vehicle. Apparently it can also increase performance and reduce fuel consumption? :huh:

I have done this on my 300TDI and it definately smokes less than it did and more importantly is not cokeing up the inlet tract with a marmite like substance. Can't really say that it had a huge effect on the way the truck goes but I sorted several things out at the same time which all made a difference.

HTH

Pete.

I installed the EGR blanking plate, removed & replaced the top induction hose with a LR original hose and I'm pleased with the result. I've been told don't use a sh!tpart top hose, as they tend to collapse very quickly.

Throttle response has improved, less smoke and fuel economy has improved, with the highway miles that we do daily.

Todd.

We had a TD5 where the coupling from the stainless pipe to the alloy EGR valve burnt through. This made a mess of the plastic engine cover; luckily nothing burnt through or caught fire. So now we fit blanking plates to the manifold and throw the pipes away. Our latest is to also throw the EGR valve away and fit a fabricated steel pipe in its place. The plate with the four holes is laser cut, and welded to a pipe of the right size. We can fit these to the latest TD5s which keep the EGR valve even though it doesn't work. It might help a bit for the top-end power to get rid of the obstruction inside the EGR valve.

We had a TD5 where the coupling from the stainless pipe to the alloy EGR valve burnt through. This made a mess of the plastic engine cover; luckily nothing burnt through or caught fire. So now we fit blanking plates to the manifold and throw the pipes away. Our latest is to also throw the EGR valve away and fit a fabricated steel pipe in its place. The plate with the four holes is laser cut, and welded to a pipe of the right size. We can fit these to the latest TD5s which keep the EGR valve even though it doesn't work. It might help a bit for the top-end power to get rid of the obstruction inside the EGR valve.

Is it neccasary to alter pipes or can i just put the blanking plate between the manifold and pipe going to the valve?.

It came complete with plate, new gasket and new allen bolts.

Foxminer

Correct. We blank off the manifold AND remove the EGR valve itself. Looks nice, no rubbish. We also take off the redundant heater coolant pipe that LR fitted to late-model engines although it was not connected to anything. Funny bunch of engineers they have there.

for mine i used a bearing from a shimano bottom bracket from a bike, i would be careful about any claim's about performance upgrade,s on my td5 it felt like giving an asthmatic an inhaler and now it doesnt feel like your pushing it on to maintain 70-80 mph a bit like overdrive but it does feel less torqey low down but just when moving away once it's rolling it's superb, once out of warranty it will be consigned to the skip after being beaten senceless by a big hammer, despiseable thing !!!!!! :)

This is my 4th disco and the third that i have removed the egr completeley, cant say i noticed any difference but as they were all chipped/tuned any minor differences would not be as notable as on a std car.

My current motor is a TD5 and i fitted the complete EGR removal kit from TD5alive, easy to fit and as alrady said removes a load of carp fom the engine bay.

Lynall