Tyre width pros/cons

nige90

The time has come for some new Big Friendly Giants. Currently on 235/85

tempted to go for 265/75. There's bugger all difference in rolling diameter

so is there a significant gain/loss in wider rubber ?

As I see it...

235 Will cut through soft goo to firm stuff better

Bit quieter on road

265 Better dry grip

Look meatier

May foul wheelboxes/arches on full twist (11" shocks & +2" mounts going on v soon)

Any comments ?

Unless you need floatation, and not many do in the UK, stay with the narrower tyre. The wider ones use more fuel, displace more mud when off-road (so making progress harder), cost more, interfere with the bodywork more etc.

I also say 255/85 as the extra height is an advantage in UK conditions where the ground tends to rut and give clearance issues.

Chris

I have 265/75R16 as both my road tyrea (BFg Mud) and off road tyrea (Insa Turbos) and i like them, Plenty of grip both on and off road and not suffered my with lack of ground clearance, had to alter the steering stop a little bit, but other than that, no problems with hitting the body.

I have 265/75R16 as both my road tyrea (BFg Mud) and off road tyrea (Insa Turbos) and i like them, Plenty of grip both on and off road and not suffered my with lack of ground clearance, had to alter the steering stop a little bit, but other than that, no problems with hitting the body.

So you've got a bigger turning circle and haven't benefited from better diff clearance and that's a good thing! ;););)

Steve (founder of the 255/85 sect)

Geez Steve that was 10years after he last hit the tracks and visited Slindon on his second set by that time :)

Going by the state of that driver's seat I can believe that :rolleyes::rolleyes:

landrover598 I'm not going to go there as I know I'll win and don't need to prove the point ;);)

Steve :)

Fair enough, it's clear i don't have a clue about what makes a great off road vehicle, but i know what works for me, and that 265/75 works very well for me :angry:

handbag.jpg oooooooooooooooooooooohhhhh!

You obviously didn't notice the winks at the end of my sentence noting a joke :rolleyes:

I've got 265/75 on mine and had a set of 255/85's for a little while. Both are very good, I didn't notice much difference between them really, other than the 255's really overgearing the 2.5 petrol on the road a step too far so we sold them on.

The 265's just grazed the arches on standard suspension on modulars, the 255's on wolfs needed the bumpstops spacing out a bit with the soft springs on there.

With a TDi I'd go for 255's for the extra height. If you don't want/need the height then the 265's are a perfect fit.

Richard