Today's sightings

Hi

On a 28 mile round trip from Edinburgh out into East Lothian on business today I saw a total of 1 Defender (a green 110), 7 Discos (mostly newer models) and 5 Range Rovers (all new). It struck me this was quite a lot and the only older vehicle was the other Defender. Also I suspect it is a sad reflection on the yummy mummy must have syndrome in middle class Edinburgh.

I wondered what sort of proportions other people come across, or is it just me that finds such a sad variation of childhood I Spy to relieve a relatively boring journey?

Malcy

Hi

On a 28 mile round trip from Edinburgh out into East Lothian on business today I saw a total of 1 Defender (a green 110), 7 Discos (mostly newer models) and 5 Range Rovers (all new). It struck me this was quite a lot and the only older vehicle was the other Defender. Also I suspect it is a sad reflection on the yummy mummy must have syndrome in middle class Edinburgh.

I wondered what sort of proportions other people come across, or is it just me that finds such a sad variation of childhood I Spy to relieve a relatively boring journey?

Malcy

dont suppose you've seen a white 110 van with galvo roll cage and rear window guards too big for the windows out on your travels round edinburgh?

have seen it about a few times and i'm sure i've seen its picture in a magazine or on aforum somewhere.

always been out west edinburgh though, so maybe not out your way.

I am afraid I work in weybridge, surrey, so every other car is a D3 or Rangie Sport. I must see upwards of 30 on my way to work. Plenty of defenders too, since I live in the slightly more agricultural depths of west sussex.

You're not the only one who goes spotting though.... ;)

Mark

Guest dew110CSW

4 doors up from me is a TD5 110 Hi-Cap, and next doors son-in-law has an 07 Defender Hard Top (He's service manager for Kentdale) plus I see quite a few older 90/110s around, must be a poor bunch us ;)

And kind of on this subject, has anyone else noticed the sharp drop in the number of RRCs around? They seem to have all disappeared overnight.

I see, on average, 2 or 3 Defenders on the M4 between J10 & 11 every trip I make, twice a day.

Hardly anyone waves, which really irritates me! Loads of D3's and 2's.

There's the odd tricked-up D1 around, which do wave.

In my area, RR's, D3's and Freebies are thick on the ground.

Have been doing a few weekends away lately. Loads of Defenders on Dorset (hardly surprising) and Bath.

Off up to Rutland this weekend.

I'm afraid LR spotting is a game we all play too. Little-'un (4 years) shrieks from the back seat with "90!" or "110!" or "Scovery" etc.

There's nothing for it but to join in.

Just cycled from Barrow-in-furness in the south Lakes to Sunderland.....must have seen about 10 defenders per hour on the first day, they were everywhere. B)

Walney to Wear? Nice ride - did it two years ago. Hope the weather was as good for you as it was for us!

TS

Ooh! LR Content? Well it was while on that trip that I started to think about rebuilding the RRC!

Where I live (Latvia, it's a country in northern europe) - I have seen ~10 defenders TOTAL. I have one of them. The brand new Range Rovers I see like 5-10 every day. By the way, I'm new here (Hi everyone! :)

Normund

(Black 110, TD5 1999)

Walney to Wear? Nice ride - did it two years ago. Hope the weather was as good for you as it was for us!

TS

Ooh! LR Content? Well it was while on that trip that I started to think about rebuilding the RRC!

yup thats the one, 29mph tail wind first day, then got burnt from the sun the next day - cool weekend. ;)

welcome Normis, sure you'll enjoy it here. :D :D

Where I live (Latvia, it's a country in northern europe) - I have seen ~10 defenders TOTAL. I have one of them. The brand new Range Rovers I see like 5-10 every day. By the way, I'm new here (Hi everyone! :)

Normund

(Black 110, TD5 1999)

Welcome Normis

Normund

(Black 110, TD5 1999)

Welcome Normund, hope you like it here & please read the pinned thread at the top of the page to help you get the most out of the forum/website features :D

I recently drove my D 1,250 miles from Seattle, Washington to So. California and saw only one other Defender the entire trip. Sighted a few new LR3's and RR's along the way.

One bright spot, though, among the endless string of Suburbans, Escalades and mile high Ford Super Duty's that traverse Interstate 5 was a very fine sounding, modified Range Rover Classic who blasted by me with a wave of the hand (and foot to the floor) at a clip "considerably above the speed limit"...

I'm new to this site, too (and have read the pinned info....) Hello all !

There's loads of L/R's in Swindon (probably the only good thing about the place). There are 3 disco's in my street, a tricked-up Rangy not far away, and several series trucks dotted around the area. I'd say that there are equal amounts of Disco's and 90's, with a fair few 110's as well. Most Range Rovers I see are the newer models.

Les.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest diesel_jim

Driving up the M4 the other day, i passed a convoy of 14 wolf 110 rovers... i nearly wet myself!!! :ph34r:

and today, heading towards J15 M4 (obviously for the Kemble militaria show... anyone going?) were sevreral old 'merican trucks, a nice ex MoD Pinzgauer 4x4 following one of the SAS DPV 110 replicas... fully loaded! looked purrdy smart bombing down the motorway! even had a large 50cal on the back (under a canvas cover) and about an acre of scrim on it too. i dread to think what his fuel economy was!

that pinz was sweet though. me likey lots.... :D

When I went to Eastnor for my RGS Land Rover course, I worked out that 70% of the cars I saw were Land Rovers (not counting all the ones at the Land Rover Experience centre)

Nick

About 70% of the vehicles I see everywhere are Land Rovers :)