The FlyingSpanners Ladoga '07 Blog Thread

Right we're sat at Rostock port in the rain with some very impressive thunder and lightning going on (pictures may follow if we can work it out) I'm browsing the web from Leo's dashboard!

Read Leo's blog of the trip if you can speak dutch :P

As Dan (Bertha) said, Dan (DD) had a bit of an incident ith his wheel - we were following him and "we had the following conversation with Zuz:

"Is his back tyre flat?

"What?"

"Ïs his back tyre flat?"

"Speak up!"

"IS HIS BACK TYRE..."

and at that point his wheel flew off aross 3 lanes of autobahn (and luckily back again!) and Dan made a very good catch of getting his range and Petal onto the hard shoulder.

Luckily it just seems to have burred the brake disc slightly so a lucky escape mechanically as well as in road safety terms :lol:

I must also confess (before the guys take the p... too much) that we had to tighten a few suspension bolts on the 109 as the suspenion seems to have "bedded in" a bit since Dan filledthe 109 with ballast :ph34r:

That's abou it for todays news, we're slightly at a loss being early for something :unsure:

Here's a couple of pictures from Leo:

post-21-1180382988_thumb.jpg

post-21-1180383017_thumb.jpg

I'll hit the post button now and then we're going to try to get leo's dashboard to talk to jez's camera B)

Cor blimey you were lucky to get that lot onto the hard shoulder in one piece Dan ,also that the wheel didn't hit anyone.That happened to me on my first day on the road as a learner with my Dad in his marina van way back in the last century :blink: no traffic for me to contend with as i was on a back road, it took us a while to find the tyre (NSR) as it got fired out of the wheelarch and into a field of wheat... :lol:

have a great trip all

Steveb

Well they came they, tweaked, adjusted and fixed then headed for the border 11 hours later! no news from then since but by my calculations they should be there by now, possibly in long queue. word from the other side is that water levels are uber high this year! and its proper cats and dogs in St P at the moment :blink: some of you may have noticed the lack of insulation on Petal. I hope jez and kim keep the heated vests powered up!

as for pics well i took far too many today including some of petal being tested over some mounds of dirt. and well surprise she works even better than last time! Kimble reckons she is more stable this time. i reckon it has to be the bling!

Ready for launch!

post-2697-1180561546_thumb.jpg

No not LR again but very tidy, wait til i get a pic of the dashboard!

post-2697-1180562506_thumb.jpg

As seen when following through town

post-2697-1180561426_thumb.jpg

At the dockside as we awaited the return of FF who was retrieving jackets from cabin after departing

post-2697-1180561293_thumb.jpg

Now as you can see Kim needs a hand into the cab at times, Jez has mentioned he was short

post-2697-1180561599_thumb.jpg

As you see portal axled vehicles fall over on side slopes :blink:

post-2697-1180561713_thumb.jpg

And have no flex

post-2697-1180561757_thumb.jpg

Beauty and the beast (read as you see left and right)

post-2697-1180561808_thumb.jpg

Anyone for bling

post-2697-1180561921_thumb.jpg

As last seen moments before heading fir the border

post-2697-1180561967_thumb.jpg

I guess it must be tough in Ladoga at the moment……………. I had the first text from Jez today………….. I suppose cell phone (GSM) coverage is not going to be too good in a rural forest the size of the UK ……………… :rolleyes:

Text reads as follows………………

“In third place, will incur time penalty for yesterday – had to do some life saving……Very scary”

I understand that in the history of the Ladoga, a life or lives have been lost................. so I gather from the above that Jez & Kim were in the right place at the right time............. however, having to incur a time penalty (I assume for being late into the check point) seems a bit harsh...........

:)

Ian

I just hope it wasn't a kiss of life

Jez smelling of Russian fags and swamps - ehhwwhh.

Oh sorry better watch my language :moglite: - I meant Russian cigarettes

Keep it up fellas

Andy - bad mental image.

Going out of your way to help fellow competitors is the mark of a true sportsman and a gentleman. Not everyone does it but I have huge respect for those that do especially if it will compromise their event.

It sounds like they're running very well, though. :i-m_so_happy:

I've just come off the phone to Fridge in deepest Russia

I wanted to find out about him and Russian ladies - but he wanted to talk Ladoga - Like I'm interested :rolleyes:

Excuse me if I've got any of the facts wrong, but the line was bad, and there were lots of chainsaws at the Russian end.

Seems Dan's Rangie has taken a bit of a beating, and he hasn't finished enough stages to get a placing, so he's now a spectator, but still running.

Fridge's 109 is running well, seems a power steering hose causes trouble on full pressure/lock, but he can drive around that.

Jez and Kim came across a mad proto vehicle, stationary, on full throttle, as the driver had gassed himself (dunno about co-driver). They gave him (them ?) the kiss of life until the medics arrived.

I'm not sure if they regained conciousness whilst getting a Basingstoke kiss from Jez, or what trauma councilling is like in Russia, but no doubt we'll find out soon.

Jez and Kim now cannot move for cameras, and seem to be lapping up the attention in quite a serious manner, whilst the rest of the British crew arse about in the background of the photo/video :lol:

Again top work fellas

anybody got any ready excuses to give my employers when they find out I've been calling a mobile in Russia from the company mobile :o