Suspension Lift Kits

I realise this may be an age old question, I'm looking to put a 1.5" lift kit on my 1989 Defender. My question is what are the differences between all those kits out there? mm4x4 do a lift kit with heavy duty springs but give you a chioce of Pro Comp ES9000 shocks or DeCarbon ones. Are these budget end range? or will they improve the ride as well? What is the difference between these two shocks?

there are sooooooooo many questions....... :blink:

Note: I am on a budget! (budget = cheap)

I realise this may be an age old question, I'm looking to put a 1.5" lift kit on my 1989 Defender. My question is what are the differences between all those kits out there? mm4x4 do a lift kit with heavy duty springs but give you a chioce of Pro Comp ES9000 shocks or DeCarbon ones. Are these budget end range? or will they improve the ride as well? What is the difference between these two shocks?

there are sooooooooo many questions....... :blink:

Note: I am on a budget! (budget = cheap)

So first Q is why do you want a lift kit?

Lift kits will cause you all sorts of fun....

Basically you have to decide on what you are looking for at the end of the process, and what you use the 90 for mainly.

For road use, stiff springs and strong shocks will make it feels as tho it really handles, whereas for off road use you wnat the opposite, soft springs and articulation.....

Lift kits as in "Off the shelf" are noamlly added to compensate for big tyres, as they rub the body etc, lifting up by 1-2 inches sorts this, but can often have side effects, caster,m steering shakes, COG change, etc etc

Not all lift kits are of the same qulaity, so do your research 1st !

1st tho what do you mainly wnat out of you 90, and what do you use it for ?

Nige

It will be used 80% on road an 20% playing in mud!

I primarly thought a lift makes 'em look nice, and I need to replace a rear shocker (so that =2) as rusted through. So with 2 x shocks to replace the next natural progression was to replace the lot and then, well if I'm going to do new shocks then why not new springs? Then thought continued, to well why not stick a 'cosmetic' 1.5" lift on? (only have 2.25" clearance left into garage!) see my logic? <_<

Mind you after looking at the LR yellow90, and others, a set of 235 85 16 tyres look nice! Would this achive a similar look? Better ground clearance I realise! does it have a major influence on the speedo?

My head is spinning! :(

Ok, so mainly road and some play days........

Axle articualtion is not a high priority, neither is soft springing etc, in fact for road use maybe the reverse.

I had 235 85 16s on my 90, at this time the springs and shocks were std late 90 CSW (softer than early commercial 90 springing ....but still hard), and this means NO LIFT AT ALL :

WHAT.jpg

From this I worked out that I could with some major trimming of bodywork and arches get 34 x 10.50 x 16 Simex JTs on it.... again NO LIFT AT ALL:

Picture175Medium.jpg

Then some months of thought and work, started the suspension mods :

AWDCDRD25-9-05-001Medium.jpg

Whuilst this last photo might be of interest to you, the springs are now so soft that you couldn't use the 90 for picking up loads that with the std springs would be fine, the road handling is more wallowy....BUT NO LIFT AT ALL

OMEs kit for a bit of lift decent rated springs and quality shocks is hard to beat, do be very aware and aviod "Cheap" deals, springs will sga, and it probably just won't sit level on fitting, and you will waste you money...

If you can't afford to do it with decent brand stuff wait till you can.......

HTH

Nige

Yes, I'd vote with Nige. For the cosmetic effect and 80% (which probably means more) road then just get an OME bolt on kit. It has a very good reputation and if you do start to do more off road later it is a good base to start from. Not my cup of tea but I'm finicky about these things and less fashion consious.

But I'm now wondering what tyres you have if you think 235x85s look good? It might be worth starting another thread to get input on tyres and then stop and consider if you can afford to do both tyres and lift together or if you should do one (which one?) first.

Welcome to the world of LR ownership :D

Mudplugger, my vote's OME. I've used it for 3 and a half years. I've never broken a damper (in fact they're all the original ones I bought originally), no spring sagging, it handles well on road and off it, its nicley balanced and composed and I'm in no real hurry to change it. Its not as flexible as some setups but I'm very happy with it.

P1010852.jpg

P1010853.jpg

P1010854.jpg

P1010855.jpg

To be quite honest, your use sounds like mine - daily driver with some offroading (Cordell - shut it). To be quite honest I'd say don't lift it (2" lift = 4° castor angle decrease from 6°!) but look at getting more travel from your shocks instead. That won't compromise the road use (so long as you pick the damper rate carefully to match the originals) but allows the kind of twisty pictures you can see above.

Whereabouts are you? Some profile details wouldn't go amiss if you're going to stick around (and you're quite welcome...)

Thanks for the advice.

Right I'd best update my profile! I was member on 'the other' forum until migration, but not very prolific. Owned a 1980 Lightweight (very nice) till recently and still got the Disco II, but now entered Defender world! Never did any mods the the lightweight in the way I want to do to this, so its all very exciting! :P

Only mods on Disco are A/T tyres, a diff guard, an A bar and some nice stickers!

Anth.

What tyres are you running as mentioned above? unless theres another thread and i missed it.

if your on 205s i would move to 235/85s first or 7.50R16 as a lift without these on 205s woud look. well not right to my eye.

i am running Procomp orange springs 15% stiffer then OEM front and 20% stiffer rear so on road they are good. they are also slightlylonger giving about 1.5" lift. this is coupled with +"2 shocks alround

it looks like this (on 255/85R16s):

20AUg05.jpg

articulation:

TelegraphLane.jpg

note 235/85 10% bigger than 205s, and 255/85 plus 10% again on 235/85. thats in ht and roughly.....

I'm running 205x70's at the mo, so a natural choice would be 235x85x16, I think you're right.

I like the look of your vehicle with the 255x85's on, do they fit on standard 16" modulars then? I will be getting new rims and tyres, and its a big outlay to get it wrong, so all this info is invaluable! :D

Therefore my choice goes 1st...235 (255?)x85x16 on nice new black modulars, 2nd.... see if still gets in the garage (2.25" clearance so far) and if it does, 3rd...... new springs and shocks, but not the budget cheap things! I'm learning!! :blink:

Another vote of 255/85x16s from me and forget the lift kit. Standard LR suspension is well up to all the abuse you are likely to throw at it.

Avoid the hype, you don't need £500 worth of OMEmu to drive offroad. If Standard suspension can cope with the abuse the Utility Companies and your average Farmer throws at it then one day a month in the mud is nothing! Spend the money on beer.

Will :)

Spend the money on beer.

Will :)

:D Now I like that idea!!!

I have come round to your way of thinking, 255x85x16, but it seems that the only company to do these are BFG, which equates to £550 for tyres (5) so with modular rims and all, £750 odd! Phew! :(

It also seems they only do a mud terrain in that too, I'm on the road a fair bit so might have to opt for the 235's in an A/T pattern. :unsure:

but the Landy photos certainly look nice with just higher profiles on!

i would go straight for the 255, the BFG MT are fairly good on road and seem to last ages, i think Western is running these on his 200tdi (255 as well) he does a fiarly high mileage and could let you knwo what to expect from them.

i would recommend BFG anyway despite the extra price from my experence good tyres and last well.

However......... after doing your sums if you fancy some 235/85R16 i have some for sale!!!!!!! £250 + del for 5 with 9k on them (spare unused) they are General Grabber TR the OEM fit to new defs.

which depsite having some 235s for sale, i would still say go for the 255s!!!!!

My green truck cab as above is running std LR 130 rims or Wolf rims, 6.5J the min width to get 255s on (therefore get the max ht) plsu they are a decent HD rim and give good protection to the calipers when off roading.

well yeah :P forgive me for copying straight out of excel.

call it 3"? :D

I ran 255/85R16s on 7x16 modulars with standard suspension for a few weeks, they rubbed more at first when they were on wolf/130 rims. definitely a nice size, certainly don't regret saving the bit extra from 235/85s, especially as i was able to get a great set of five second hand ( ;) ta Gelf)

now I've got about 1.5" lift front and rear they're even better, articulating nicely.

Luke