fitting a disco brake servo to a defender?

i have a disco 200tdi brake servo and master cylinder.i am contemplating fitting it in place of the existing defender brake servo/mastercylinder on my 200 def tdi. The sole reasons for doing this is that i get servo assistance fade after repeated heavy braking (not encountered on the road but evident in comp use) the disco servo is about twice the thickness of the def one therefore i am assuming that it will hold a greater volume of assistance?

aside from the fact that the m/c from the disco has 4 outputs and the def has 2 so i need some t pieces or i run separate brake lines to each caliper, the disco servo has off set mounting bolts (2 of them) and the def servo uses 4 mounting bolts.

i am assuming that i can just drill out tow new holes for the disco servo bolts and then connect it all up - that is that the servo to pedal connections are the same - not usre as its currently hidden away!

i dont believe i can use the def m/c with the disco servo as the mouting holes are different.

anything i have missed?

I just lived with it.

I put it down to the vacuuum pump not being up to the job. I Cadance brake all the time. After three pumps no vacuum :o My Defender is nearly as bad.

I wonder if you could get an air tank and use that a a vac reservoir.

Well have just fitted the disco servo and M/C. had to drill some new holes to get the servo to line up with the mounting plate as expected.

i also used t pieces to take the 4 outlet from the disco M/C down to two, one each for the front and rear axles. i may run a line to each caliper in time but not yet!

system still needs to be bleed (ran out of time!)

so will see if there is any improvement tomorrow, i am hoping with the bigger servo from the disco i wont lose my assistance so quickly - time will tell!

Guest WALFY

Ins only get funny with mods if you have improved/uprated the power. The girls in the Wiliton office, if thats where your account is are very good. SWMBO used to work there many moons ago.

Wiliton office are now not so good

not wanting to insure my 90 at all.

James any insurance company will take the opportunity to not

pay if they can get away with it.

have you called them to say:

I'm fitting a servo from a Discovery and fitting tee pieces in the system so I can connect it to the brake system on my Defender?

bet they might mind suddenly.

Well its now fitted and system bled (thank you Jase and MUD Uk) for the parts.

what an improvement over my std system, much better response from the brakes. the setup isint perfect by any stretch of the imagination eg the reservoir is held at a funny angle etc (disco has an angled bulkhead def vertical one) but fluid goes where it needs to and as long as it half or more full it wont be an issue. 1st time i have been able to lock up four wheels since getting the truck cab anyway!

still some lack of assistance there but it comes after alot of heavy repeated braking and much better than before.

to recap on previous posts to over come the issue before i replaced with new:

vacuum pipe

M/C

servo

rebuilt the vacuum pump with new rotors

new pads all round

checked all calipers

replaced fluid (several times)

only one last point the pedal could do with biting a bit earlier - how do you adjust the travel? i haven't looked yet but assume its the same as def one, adjust the screw thread between the M/C and servo - anyone know for sure?

shame i will have to remove it to suit the insurance guys (probably)

• 3 weeks later...

Sat was the first time that the trucks been out properly since changing to the disco servo - and excellent result is all i can add really, its much better with it fitted, seems to have greater stopping power and i dont loose the assistance on repeated braking.

Actual pedal connection no problem but i need to drill tow new holes to get the two lug servo to mount to the pedal box, the std def had 4 mouting holes.

ok cheers

would you know which pipe goes to which outlet

currently have 3 outletles on my series 1 to each of the fronts and a single line to the back

only thing is the rangy unit has 4 outlets

you can use all four outlets from the new rangie m/c and run a line to each caliper/expander.

or use a t piece to bring together two of them and run that to the rear as a single line. T Two of the nozzles that are opposite each other on the M/C as those are the two that will receive pressure at the same time.

then use the other two and run that straight to each existing caliper for the front.

you can use all four outlets from the new rangie m/c and run a line to each caliper/expander.

or use a t piece to bring together two of them and run that to the rear as a single line. T Two of the nozzles that are opposite each other on the M/C as those are the two that will receive pressure at the same time.

then use the other two and run that straight to each existing caliper for the front.

cheers for the info just gotta get on wiv it now