cooling 90 200 tdi

gota 90 challenge truck with a 200 tdi. engine is somewhat tuned, aluminium intercooler that sits in the original spot, pump uprated, higher boost. bought it like that,like the way it goes. only problem is that it gets to hot when pushed hard. so it needs a bigger/better watercooler. 8724 also sits in front of xooler dosn't help. any ideas?

cheers

spec

Take the engine driven viscous fan off & fit electric fans & wire them in so automatic & manual override can switch them on/off as required, check the correct 88 degree thermostat is fitted & working properly too :D

Take the engine driven viscous fan off & fit electric fans & wire them in so automatic & manual override can switch them on/off as required, check the correct 88 degree thermostat is fitted & working properly too :D

thermostat should be fine, only gets hot when pushed really hard. in my experience the viscous fan is far superiour with regards to cooling than electric ones.

thinking about adding a bigger oil cooler to the 200 tdi, will that help?

cheers

spec

i would say that as far as pulling air through an electric fan is far superior its just that they wont tolerate mud and sh1te to the same degree as a viscous one. I paid £3 for my fan and there are plenty more where that came from. you could have 3 and carry two spares, mine could/can be changed in less than a minute.

Doubt a bigger oil cooler will help, examine the engine side of existing radiator the lower 4 rows of cooling fins can/do corred away to dust, mine went that way & a new sandard Tdi rad cured it, never goes above 1/2 way on temp gauge now & gives me a very good heater hot air flow when needed.

Chances are your viscous fan is stuffed. No electric fan setup cools as well, as many have found out to their cost.

viscous was replaced about 1.5 years ago, rad got a new core then as well, only done abou 10k miles since then, should be fine.

made the same experience with electric fans on my rangie, cooling was way inferior to the viscous unit. so propably want to keep the viscous.

engine is tuned and only used for racing purposes, looking to fit a larger rad, either v8 or td5. any experiences with that?

I wouldn't fit a TD5 radiator as they tend to start leaking for no apparent reason and are not fixable. For the same price as the LR unit you should be able to get a 100% alloy radiator made to measure by Allisport or similar. We are having TD5 radiators made as the quality is better.

When it is overheating, do you HEAR the fan. If the fan clutch is working the fan will make enough noise to hear over the engine when it locks up. If you can't hear it, the coupling is dead.... Not uncommon. Just because it is new means little.

Now the viscous are better than electric argument :rolleyes: You can get electrics that pull more air than engine fans and you can get ones that pull less..... All fans are not created equal. People need to know what they are doing instead of making random decisions based on internet opinions. :D