KAM crownwheel and pinion sets.

A friend rang me this evening to tell that he just picked up a factory rebuilt pair of Mog 404 diff/axle assemblies. He already has a low geared Rangey/Jeep hybrid on Volvo portals for serious offroad playing, but wants to also build a truck more capable of long distance cruising through the Australian outback, so we discussed final drive ratios and the various diff options available to us over here. We concluded that grafting the Mog portal boxes onto 24 spline ARB locked Rangey diffs would be our most practical option providing we can source higher ratio crownwheel and pinions at a reasonable price. KAM list a 2.83:1 ratio R&P set but don't list a price. Do any members here have any idea how much incl tax in British Rupees a couple of gear sets ould set us back ? Thanks in advance.

Bill.

A friend rang me this evening to tell that he just picked up a factory rebuilt pair of Mog 404 diff/axle assemblies. He already has a low geared Rangey/Jeep hybrid on Volvo portals for serious offroad playing, but wants to also build a truck more capable of long distance cruising through the Australian outback, so we discussed final drive ratios and the various diff options available to us over here. We concluded that grafting the Mog portal boxes onto 24 spline ARB locked Rangey diffs would be our most practical option providing we can source higher ratio crownwheel and pinions at a reasonable price. KAM list a 2.83:1 ratio R&P set but don't list a price. Do any members here have any idea how much incl tax in British Rupees a couple of gear sets ould set us back ? Thanks in advance.

Bill.

Bill, I rang them the other day about the exact same items, they are out of stock and not down to be re-ordered yet, if and when they re-order can expect to wait another 3 months on top of that as that is the lead time from the people who cut the gears.

I was told to email the enquiry to them but didn't. They don't have the best reputation regarding their expected delivery dates.

Prices are £283+VAT so £332.52 and that's each :ohttp://www.kamdiffs.com/landrover_2_83.htm

Don't Toyota do a suitable diff?

Lots of pictures please when you do the conversion.

Andy

Bill, I rang them the other day about the exact same items, they are out of stock and not down to be re-ordered yet, if and when they re-order can expect to wait another 3 months on top of that as that is the lead time from the people who cut the gears.

I was told to email the enquiry to them but didn't. They don't have the best reputation regarding their expected delivery dates.

Prices are £283+VAT so £332.52 and that's each :ohttp://www.kamdiffs.com/landrover_2_83.htm

Don't Toyota do a suitable diff?

Lots of pictures please when you do the conversion.

Andy

Thanks so much for that Andy. The highest ratio Hilux Ring and Pinion i'm aware of is 3.54:1 that McNamara Differentials have made for their hypoid conversion for Rover diffs. Ideally we would like to end up with a final drive ratio of 6:1 or higher so 3.54 which I think is the same as Mog diffs anyway is too low. I'll probably only be helping with the conversion in an advisory capacity, but either way we'll take pics.

bill.

Sounds interesting.

What tyre radius will he be running Bill? Any ideas about g-box / engine (revs - petrol/oil-burner?).

What would be a typical cruise speed out there?

Yup, 3.5x is the regular 404 Mog ratio, so you'd be gaining nothing there.

Keep us posted. Al.

Sounds interesting.

What tyre radius will he be running Bill? Any ideas about g-box / engine (revs - petrol/oil-burner?).

What would be a typical cruise speed out there?

Yup, 3.5x is the regular 404 Mog ratio, so you'd be gaining nothing there.

Keep us posted. Al.

Yes Al, My friend is a Jeep enthusiast. It's planned that the Hybrid Mog portals will go under his J10 pickup which currently runs a stock 318ci Chrysler and 727 transmission with Atlas 3.8:1 I think transfer case. For long distance outback touring 35/36 inch tyres are the practical limit. Legal speed limit over here is only 60/66mph (100/110kPH) but the distances can be huge, and a high revving low geared monster gets old in a hurry on those sort of runs.

Bill.

from what i have heard i can second the delivery date comment above and after sales service could be improved on, just ask Martin Gilpin from OEC!

Yes KAM's unreliable supply and backup may kill the deal in favor of readily available and cheap 9 inch Ford or Borg Warner diffs. The low cost of these diffs however would be offset somewhat by having to make up matching front/rear housings. I also believe that ARB difflocks for these haven't really been perfected as yet, So we would need to factor in the extra work of making home grown difflocks !

Get your finger out KAM !. You're losing valuable goodwill and sales opportunities with all your raining about.

Bill.