when one thing leads to another and another

white90

Oil appearing from the solenoids on the ARB compressor alerted me to possible O rings being worn or soon to need replacement.

So I think I'll just disconnect the swivels from the axle tube , pull the diff replace and put it all back...

but!

Shaking steering wheel after the wheels were balanced (at 40mph) makes me think poss swivel preload needing attention.

so I start to dismantle the axle fully.

The brake discs are in need of a change(luckily I got some from Simon Pearson)

I find a bearing on its last legs on the N/S and the bearing race seizing to the stub axle, once I removed that the stub axle looks pretty bad so that needs changing

start to put one side back together as I had some seals in the spares box,

to find the swivel seal supplied is different from the ones I have fitted so that's no good.

I've managed to replace the O rings and put the diff back in, now will wait on seals/brake pads.

the car is now sat on some logs and going no where for a while :)

Jase this is preventative mntce before the next set of events. :)

and anyone any idea why the aux drive belt keeps shredding itself I keep losing one side of it

approx 2mm

I'm guessing that it's a 300Tdi with a serpentine belt.

Check that ALL pulleys are in line. Not just in line but at the correct angle to the belt.

Suprisingly when my Serpentine belt shredded I looked and found the water pump pulley lying at an angle. It was nearly an hour befor the pump started to leak.

mike

YES !! It is a free country. As long as you do as you are told.

you decided against the garage then?

i have some seals here - what do you need? inner disc ones i have. also go those shimms you still need them? unfortunately i don't have a spare stub! but know of two!!!! also pads here if you need them.

you getting exeter 4x4 to deliver? i am going in there Wed so could collect for you or if your going down there you could collect for me?

and as an off chance you dont have a spare T piece for 3/16" brake pipes do you (same as one on top of the rear axle) also need another male end.

Guest WALFY

James

Give Dave a ring. He did have lots of brake bits. I'm sure they wouldn't be to expensive if you gave him a call. And you'll get to see the new project. If you need hi number give me a call/txt

find a bearing on its last legs on the N/S and the bearing race seizing to the stub axle, once I removed that the stub axle looks pretty bad so that needs changing

Oil or grease lubricated hubs ? If it's the latter could we maybe resume the grease verses oil thread of long ago?

Bill.

James

I thought you said you were away this week?

Exeter 4x4 store yes If I get an order together would you pick it all up/drop it over?

I'm vehicle less at the moment as Val is at work all week till 1700.

Shims I will need, the swivel seal they previously supplied is totally different to the one I took out so need to get another two so I can start to rebuild the hubs asap.

I have one spare stub axle ready to fit.

the ones on the axle you recently purchased , are they narrow ones? if they are and in reasonable order, they are no good for your vehicle as you are running wider hubs any idea on cost? if they are ok.

Sorry no spare brake parts, Julian may have some.

Bill, Grease filled bearings but as the CV's are now grease packed I'll have to retain the seals and keep the bearings grease filled although I'm wishing I could run them in oil as they aren't appearing to last very long.

Bill, Grease filled bearings but as the CV's are now grease packed I'll have to retain the seals and keep the bearings grease filled although I'm wishing I could run them in oil as they aren't appearing to last very long.

Why not use oil?

I leave the CV`s packed with the Moly grease and use about 0.5 l of EP140 just to keep everything lubed.

Just when I asked I was advised to leave seals insitu and keeps the CVs greased.

I'd prefer to try the bearings in oil by removing the stub axle seal

has the CV grease stayed put? or migrated to the Diff oil.

this was the trouble I had (even with swivel seals in place) the CV grease migrated turning the Diff oil the same colour

and when I stripped the Axle to fit the new CVs there was next to no grease in the N/S.

Jase

have you left the swivel-axle seal in place and just removed the seal in the stub axle?

and any reason for using EP140?

i am here this week, off to spain on Sat so away next week.

can collect 4x4 parts tomorrow morning when down there to collect my bulkhead so can collect your order. will be home 1745/1800hrs so you could come over then in Vals - that OK. can give you shims then as well.

i think they are the narrow ones, cant check dont currently have the axle at home but option there for future if needed.

I saw a new bulkhead in there last Thursday when I called in.

I'll let you know about the parts once I've called them today when I get up.

plus once I've looked into the rear axle in case I need more bits :(

I'm guessing that it's a 300Tdi with a serpentine belt.

Check that ALL pulleys are in line. Not just in line but at the correct angle to the belt.

Suprisingly when my Serpentine belt shredded I looked and found the water pump pulley lying at an angle. It was nearly an hour befor the pump started to leak.

mike

YES !! It is a free country. As long as you do as you are told.

Thanks Mike I've found the alternator to be set back 1-2mm so throwing the belt off

I've placed a couple of washers under the mountings to bring it forwards and now in line.