Unbreakable CVs, not!

roguevogue

Some of you may remember that I fitted Toyota Landcruiser axles to my truck recently.

One of the key attributes, apart from the lockers, is the stronger CVs.

I managed to break both CVs by lunch time at the Mike Wolff challenge.

DSCN0700.jpg

DSCN0701.jpg

Pictured next to an AEU2522 for comparison.

What were the circumstances Nick?

lifted wheels landing with power on?

full lock with lockers engaged?

seems odd on an apparently light vehicle and the size comparison

PS Will was going to do that but you got there first

still he'll fit them to his next truck :)

best to hit the Button: ask_warne.gif

Before you top yourself

Consider the unknown history - they could be 150,000 mile 'Builders knack wagon' specials ?

On the other hand - Have you considered using "the Button" :hysterical:

Nige

As Nige said Did you put new ones in or are these the ones that came with the Axles. Also Toyota CVs are alot stronger than land Rover but are not unbreakable, After all nothing is :D

We had a set of brand new CV's Kriogenicly treated. Apparently this toughens them up by about another 20-30%. We also had gears, shafts etc put through the same treatment by Dave Marsh over at QT.

Is this something that anyone else does or is the modified (reads Jap) route more popular?

I managed to bust one of my Quaife front HD CV's a few years ago.....pulling two dead vehicles through 16km of dunes.

Some of you may remember that I fitted Toyota Landcruiser axles to my truck recently.

Hey Nick,

how many splines to the diff and how many where the axle snaps in?

Ouch with the cost of the ashcroft ones that a pricey day out :huh:

Never heard of any breaking untill now? but they do have a 5 year warranty.

You sure Jules they were Ashcroft CV's? as I know how much punishment mine have been given and am really surprised they are still in one piece, but they are.

Peter

One of the key attributes, apart from the lockers, is the stronger CVs.

I managed to break both CVs by lunch time at the Mike Wolff challenge.

DSCN0700.jpg

DSCN0701.jpg

Pictured next to an AEU2522 for comparison.

Because the Toyota bell is more or less intact, I'd assume it was the spider or the cage that broke up.

I wonder if you adjust the steering stops to limit your lock to 30 degrees, and learn to live with the larger turning circle, whether that would solve the problem ?

Bill.

Never heard of any breaking untill now? but they do have a 5 year warranty.

You sure Jules they were Ashcroft CV's? as I know how much punishment mine have been given and am really surprised they are still in one piece, but they are.

Peter

Yep

I was on one of the club meets when some member were chatting about it.. and it was not a convertionl break but I can't remember the why's and werefors

The consensis was anything will break eventualy and nothing derrogetory was said about ashcroft and I'm not saying that either.

The Minstead site is evil

Thanks for all the replys, it has to be said that the broken bits of CV do demonstrate an extreme amount of wear, I didn't see the complete vehicle which the axles are from so I don't know how many miles then may have covered.

The breakage seems to be that the balls escaped from the cage causing the rest to follow, the spider is mostly intact.

The CVs broke, I believe, because of a combination of wear and me trying to drive up a steep hill backwards with the steering on full lock and the front locker in whilst applying some gusto. :ph34r:

As far as fitting Ashcroft CVs instead, thats a great idea but I fitted lockers, stronger shafts and stronger CVs than standard for less than the cost of Ashcroft CVs. :P

Thanks for all the replys, it has to be said that the broken bits of CV do demonstrate an extreme amount of wear, I didn't see the complete vehicle which the axles are from so I don't know how many miles then may have covered.

The breakage seems to be that the balls escaped from the cage causing the rest to follow, the spider is mostly intact.

The CVs broke, I believe, because of a combination of wear and me trying to drive up a steep hill backwards with the steering on full lock and the front locker in whilst applying some gusto. :ph34r:

As far as fitting Ashcroft CVs instead, thats a great idea but I fitted lockers, stronger shafts and stronger CVs than standard for less than the cost of Ashcroft CVs. :P

Toyota CV'swere not really designed for long lasting wear resistance. Unlike on Rover CV's, the ball tracks on Toyotas have only been flame hardened to a very thin depth and wear rapidly. If you buy used CV's again swap them left to right so that you are starting on fresh tracks. If you can be bothered dismantling the joints you can improve the reliability of the cage by dressing all the sharp corners and edges with a die grinder and also clearance it so that the balls can fall through the holes without interference.

Bill.

Yep

I was on one of the club meets when some member were chatting about it.. and it was not a convertionl break but I can't remember the why's and werefors

The consensis was anything will break eventualy and nothing derrogetory was said about ashcroft and I'm not saying that either.

It was a cage that broke up wasn't it?

There are rumours a couple of cages have broken up I've not heard of any Ashcroft CVs breaking bells or stars. Nothing's unbreakable but they are covered by a 5 year guarantee.

That would do it :lol:

Ask Steve

Well the thing is we look after 2 landcruisers for customers and probably about 40 landrovers of different kinds from falmers to chelsea tractors.

I have only ever fitted C.V.s to 1 landrover which is my own very much abused tray back running 35 inch fedimas, lockers etc etc. Never ever fitted one to any of the customers landrovers, One discovery I can think of has had a noisey O/S/F for probably the last 3-4 years(I filled it with C.V. grease and it has never got any worse).

On the other hand the toyota landcruisers, Neither of which ever go off road and the lockers would never have been engaged, One does a bit of towing, nothing serious, have both had to have both C.V's replaced. The one has just had the one side done a second time at about 170,000 miles. And the cost of the C.V. will make you very very sad.

Im not a fan of anything in a landrover axle, Infact I think it's a load of s**t but the toyota C.V. aint much better, Infact they they seem to stand up to the school run and tesco shopping trip even worse that the landrover unit.

So who knows what the answer is! Ive got ashcroft, Pricey but as far as I remember the pair dont cost a huge amount more than one toyota C.V. and carry a 5 year warranty.

Well spotted Nick………. Its really good to see that you have taken the time and effort to understand ‘why’ …………a fundamental question that is not often addressed by the average user ………..

I guess the biggest issue I have with all this axle stuff is the urban myth, smoke & mirrors, and buckets load of meaning less opinionated wind from the types of folk that wouldn’t even know how to engineer themselves out of a paperbag :angry: ……………damn, where’s that button :lol: ………………. This is not a blanket statement….. and I’m not pointing the finger……………….there are those on here for instance that are able to back up their words with good solid foundation evidence…….. but for those about to get upset ………… if the f***king cap fits, then wear it…….. :ph34r:

Hey lets get back on topic ................

Well, with your problem in mind, I guess that’s why 30 spline Chromoly Longfields are available that replace the birfields ……………… the info would seem to suggest you wont bust these in a hurry ……how deep are your pockets ?

Quote………………

"The new longfield is made of 4340 chromoly. The balls are smaller which allows us to have thicker bell and cages. The inner race is a completely new and different design, made from 300M material and it is longer for added strength…………."

gallery_269_31_75766.jpg

:)

Ian

That's why I asked the # of splines,I'm not sure but Series 70 Land Cruisers may share the same "minitrucks" (4 Runner) CVs...?so Longfield 27 splines...maybe...

:unsure:

Yep

Very poor band that won a singing competition (pop stars) then Jules :lol:

fact is fact the rest is as above without pics/evidence.

I've had Ashcroft CV's in since oct 2005 and they have been used plenty in numerous events at different sites covering approx 20k miles road and offroad

towed a caravan over 1200miles. and not a mark on them.

the cheapness of the Toy ones won't be so apparent when a replacement CVs are sourced.

That's why I asked the # of splines,I'm not sure but Series 70 Land Cruisers may share the same "minitrucks" (4 Runner) CVs...?so Longfield 27 splines...maybe...

:unsure:

if it is the the standard 27 spline Birfields ........... a lot were but some are not ................. then the latest longfield would need to be fitted using the conversion shafts as they are 30 spline ..........

Looky see here .........................http://www.longfieldsuperaxles.com/

:)

Ian