Kin Metric to Imperial "Fun" with an Axle

Defender workshop manual shows either the bolt head or one of the side faces of the hex head marked with the tensile rating , no bolt less than 8.8, nothing in EPC about tensile ratings & the SX11025M is missing a digit, it should be SX110251M

FTC3375 is dealer only. Unless you have another idea. For which I would be greatful.

I tried using a bolt........ The head is too big.

An Allen bolt would be the next thing I'll try.

mike

YES !! England is a free country. As long as you do as you are told.

Guest diesel_jim

Just looked through my box of axle bits, and the stub axle bolts are 10.9.

i've got a couple of caliper bolts, but i can't see what is cast into the end. some wording but i can't see it.

FTC3375 is dealer only. Unless you have another idea. For which I would be greatful.

Why? I bet if LR won't supply one for sale over the counter, somebody else will supply the same thing under the same number - the usual suspects like Britpart or Bearmach for example. I stand to be corrected though...

Guest diesel_jim
Why? I bet if LR won't supply one for sale over the counter, somebody else will supply the same thing under the same number - the usual suspects like Britpart or Bearmach for example. I stand to be corrected though...

bearmch definately do sell the caliper bolts, as i bought some a few months ago.

same part number too.

Ta all,

Mate arrived with 4x of them this evening and they are 12 sided F awkward B*****d Metric Bolts and 10.9 too,

seems the stubs are the same but at least std 6 face

So methinks I stand about as much chance as a dealer having them in stock with a cherrie "Yes Sir no Problem" as me

trying to 'split the atom' with a dead fish in my left hand whilst riding a unicycle singing 'The hills are alive' :(

Grumpy ?........... Oh Yeah :( ..........OK ?

Nige

Nige,

Have you tried Premier Supply in Guildford? I am likely to be dropping in there Friday lunchtime if you want me to pick you some up? give me a ring, or a pm or whatever.

Cheers

Mark

I can't see why the head type can have any bearing on the bolt strength. It is probably more to do with space (eg cap head) or anti tamper (12 sided). So long as the grade, thread pitch and length are comparable then any repacement will do IMHO.

As I said earlier my dealer keeps them in stock. They come in packs of five !! Yes I know you only need four for an axle set. :D

Should your dealer not have them in stock he should have them the next day. Mine does.

It is all to do with the head size. A 12mm bolt head will not fit. Yes I've tried one.

I use a Halfords ratchet combination spanner to get at the heads. Specially bought to do that job.

mike

YES !! England is a free country. As long as you do as you are told.