Warn 8274 Help please

Hi all,

hope you are all well in LR4x4 world.

Is it me being a bit thick or is it my 8274 thats not working correctely, if i am winching up a hill and stop on the winch, when i let go of the winch in trigger the winch winds out,? does that make sence,?. should it do this or not, i have had a new set of brake shoes on the winch and assoiciated bits, but it still unwinds.

any one got any ideas,?

cheers

Andy

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Many thanks for that riviting answer, perhaps some one could now who is a grown up with knowledge of this problem help, the new brake components were fitted by a grown up, in fact two grown up's, could it be another fault, ? thats why i have asked a serious question.

cheers

Andy

the new brake components were fitted by a grown up, in fact two grown up's,

Not grown up enough obviously. The brake is pretty simple - look in tech archive for a description on how to strip and refit.

btw Paul, one of the most grown up on here, so much so that he has more grey hair than most of us! ;);)

Steve

Andy the brake is fairly basic

there is a tech archive article on the 8274.

if your brake is doing as you describe

possibly the cam gear has seized on the main shaft this is what pulls the brake together compressing the pads.

have a look at the article as when you start to pull it apart bearings/spring etc all suddenly appear.

It is very typical for this to happen. The brake sits out in the weather with no seals and steel components. It rusts open. 90% of old 8274 have this condition.

After a rebuild, keep it lubed. If outside, keep it covered. And lastly, leave the winch slightly tensioned to keep the brake normally actuated. this helps keep the water out.

http://members.shaw.ca/red90/8274_brake/8274_brake.html

Thank you,

at least i have something to go on now, and the Cam sounds like it could be the problem.

cheers

Andy

Andy, as the others have said the brakes on 8274s can be very tempramental. Warn sell a brake rebuild kit but its expensive. Give Gigglepin 4x4 a call (01732 464393 / 01732 464494) - they'll be able to sort you out with a seal and bearing kit along with some sintered brake pads (these don't adsorb oil/grease). This means you can keep the brake assembly greased which'll help prevent corrosion and make the brake smoother in opperation.

Give Gigglepin 4x4 a call - they'll be able to sort you out with a seal and bearing kit along with some sintered brake pads (these don't adsorb oil/grease). This means you can keep the brake assembly greased which'll help prevent corrosion and make the brake smoother in opperation.

This also means that whenever you use the winch the circlip on the brake shaft will come flying off and suddenly you need a Gigglepin uprated shaft ;)

Yep know gigglepin quite well, thats were i got the brake kit from

cheers all

Andy

when you rebuilt the brakes was the ratchet arm put back on with the spring in place and was the ratchet put back on the right way around

is the ratchet pawl siezed or stuck with mud ?

happend to me a couple of times

when powering in does it click like its supposed to ?

has the pawl been tentioned correctly aswel ? as it looses tention when the break assembely is removed

dan

yep clicks away nicely, and spring holds arm in place, and if you mean does the solenoids click when i power the winch on, "yep", I am going to go and try it again to make sure, put c/o driver behind wheel and me opperate from remote lead in front of 90. so i can double check everything is as far as i can see working.!

clear as mud now.........

many thanks for ideas

Andy