A little welding required.....

I needed to have a little welding done to the cross member to hold off the replacement for a few more years....

On the whole not too bad, the bottom showing signs of age but the strength around the jacking points was lacking....

post-1475-1180819767_thumb.jpg

We added some strength underneath and then added some to the rear face....

post-1475-1180819946_thumb.jpg

post-1475-1180820002_thumb.jpg

post-1475-1180820053_thumb.jpg

post-1475-1180820095_thumb.jpg

The finished article.....

post-1475-1180820190_thumb.jpg

post-1475-1180820221_thumb.jpg

Final cleaning in the mud trap areas tomorrow and some serious Waxoyling........ Now have jacking strength back and hopefully enough metal to avoid the replacement for a few years....

(I cannot claim credit for the work..... I used the same person who fitted my wing vents.....)

Neil

I needed to have a little welding done to the cross member to hold off the replacement for a few more years....

On the whole not too bad, the bottom showing signs of age but the strength around the jacking points was lacking....

post-1475-1180819767_thumb.jpg

We added some strength underneath and then added some to the rear face....

Final cleaning in the mud trap areas tomorrow and some serious Waxoyling........ Now have jacking strength back and hopefully enough metal to avoid the replacement for a few years....

(I cannot claim credit for the work..... I used the same person who fitted my wing vents.....)

Neil

Whats the other (tank side) side of the x-member like?

Mine started like that, but I change the whole lot, took just over a day, but a lot less if I did not keep stopping.

Paul

Only issues on the botton of the Cross Member, hence decision to recover it for a year or two..... Cross member to chassis all looked fine , ends and top etc. all very solid.

I believe the car has been used at some point in it's life in sea water to launch boats. RNLI sticker in the car when I bought it... :(

It will get the full treatment when needed.... Just needed to be ready for MOT in July and today was the best opportunity...

RNLI sticker in the car when I bought it...

Doesn't mean anything, most likely just a landlubber supporter of RNLI. if it was used for reversing boat trailers into sea water it would be much worse, if it's the original rear x member then it's 14 years old & doing very well.

would have been better to cut the rusted area out back to clean good material then welded in a insert with a plate over the top.

We took a trip around after buying the car...

It was in Essex, by the sea, very near a boat yard and there was a tow hook on the front bumper!!!!! Should have seen the warning signs.. Hindsight is a wonderful thing...

Chassis totally original so hopefully it saw little / no service...

We did cut a lot back Ralph, it wasn't that bad once we got in there and I'm more than happy to have a new rear cross member next year if we didn't get enough......

(Maybe I should start grovelling to Les now for one of his specials....)

And Ralph.... Where are those pictures of your bulkhead repairs.. Not posting them ?

I've had cause to lift the car with the Hi-lift using the rear member before... Used to pull out the adapter and use the hole but it takes time....

Just slap the hi-lift under the flat section and pump away.... Only problem receently, as Diesel Jim will testify, is that any lifting on the bottom of the cross member caused some nice cracking noises....

Any non-emergency lifts are done with the trolley jack....

I have been busy today doing the same job, i had to cut 120mm x 205mm for the face but behind there i had to repair a similar size to the back of the cross member the side and bottom of it so basically all the box section really. Just needs a lick of paint but the rain has started

Edited to say. Notice the black cable taped up, this job started because i noticed the rusty bit while fixing the towing electrics where the repair is and yes the sockets are easy to set on fire

post-3155-1180893143_thumb.jpg

I was back under the back again today as well....

Wire brush to clear any flaky stuff on the chassis rails and rear cross member... All evidence of mud and dust removed and a liberal coating of Waxoyl applied across the rear cross member (tank side) and the chassis rails as far forward at the springs. No rust apparent so I'm fairly happy tonight...

Slight rust on the bottom of the cross member hidden by the tow hitch but that was only slight.....

post-1475-1180902616_thumb.jpg

I covered the drive under the 110 in large pieces of cardboard and still managed to get some on the block paving !!

It's horrible stuff to play with so I'll decline your offer Ralph..... I'll watch you doing it yourself! :)

Went over whole chassis and can't find any other areas of concern so I'll get the rest all Waxoyled this summer by someone who likes getting the stuff in their hair and getting paid for it...

Places in Peterborough etc. so not too far for me....