ROLL CAGES

HI A AM NEW TO THIS SITE SO HELLO T EVERYBODY !!!

I AM THINKING OF MAKEING A ROLL CAGE OUT OF SCAFFOLD TUBE DOSE ANYONE HAVE SOME PICTURES OF ANY OR DO'S OR DONT'S ON THIS TPOIC . IT WILL BE ON A 90 WITH A HARD TOP TO BOLT ON TO THE ROCK SLIDERS AND REAR CROSS MEMBER

post-3839-1180889599_thumb.jpg

Welcome!

In a word - don't!

Scaffold tube should never be used for making roll cages as it is a seamed tube and is liable to split in an impact. There is masses of info on cage fabrication on this forum - a quick search will bring up loads of threads.

Oh, and you might want to turn your caps lock off - we're not deaf you know!! :lol::lol::D

Welcome!

In a word - don't!

Scaffold tube should never be used for making roll cages as it is a seamed tube and is liable to split in an impact. There is masses of info on cage fabrication on this forum - a quick search will bring up loads of threads.

Oh, and you might want to turn your caps lock off - we're not deaf you know!! :lol::lol::D

Nowt wrong with seamed tubing for rollcages, blueband and red band are both suitable for cage material

Lewis :)

How friendly?

Just ignore that unfriendly lot. :) Welcome to the forum!

As Bish said, Scaffold pole isn't ideal for cages. A lot of people have used scaff pole in the past (me included), but having worked with 'proper' tube since, it's not that expensive and so much nicer to bend and weld - and hopefully will afford you more protection when you need it!

Bolting to your rock sliders and rear cross member is fine, so long as they are solid. My rear cross member was rotten as a carrot which ruled that out. Mine is bolted to the front bulkhead mountings, the side-bars / fuel tank outriggers in the middle and new outriggers I made for the back.

It is part of forum etiquette that writing in CAPITALS is equivalent to shouting at someone - good for turning something innocent into something offensive!

There is quite a lot of info on peoples cages if you have a browse through past posts including the requirements for how to make a cage which conforms to ARC / AWDC club rules.

Most of the specifications for cages assume you are going to be using them for racing. The kind of impacts a cage suffers, even in challenges are a lot less severe. Many on here are of the opinion that if you are going to the trouble of building a cage, you might as well build one to full racing spec.

However, many people do not have the time or money to do this and as such, something inbetween is a good compromise if designed sensibly.

Do you have any drawings of the kind of thing you are thinking of?

Si

sorry for the caps and the spelling !!! :unsure:

as for the design its all in my head at the moment , any pics of roll cages you have made would be great .

Si do you have any pics of the front hoop thats bolted to the bulk head ??

thanks darren

The right type of tubing isn't that expensive. I bought 19.5m x 40mm of EN10255 gas/steam pipe for less than £100. Scaffold tube is heavily galvanised, so would have to be carefully cleaned wherever you were going to weld it.

Les.

48.3mm OD Gas barrel semaed tube Bs1387 is fine,

sacaffold poles which are galvanised are not.

The galvanising process changes the structure and characteristics of the metal to make is highly unsuitable for rollcages, also galv metal even cleaned back is a pig to weld and the fmses that will come off are highly toxic.

Nige

Slightly OT

Many moons ago myself and friends went to France to marshall the first Europa Truck Trial.

before the Trucks the light vehicles used the sections in the Euro Trial Championship.

Sorry I will get to the point soon :D

One of the motors was a really nice open back Merc G Wagon V8, looked great, sounded soooo nice and preaty much won the event IIRC.

Anyway when it was parked we went to drool over it, and as you do one of us tapped the roll cage.

It sounded like the whole thing was made of exhaust pipe tube :o

No wonder it flew up the steep hills.

My personal favourite for roll cage faux pa is when the tube is flattened and then drilled through and bolted

I saw this technique used on the backstay of one cage, and they were just bolted to the bodycapping :o

Another favourite is this cage

CTR4p129.jpg

It appears to have plumbing bends welded into the tube to make the bends :o

CTR4p131.jpg

And the backstays are bolted or welded to the body cappings

CTR4p134.jpg

My personal favourite for roll cage faux pa is when the tube is flattened and then drilled through and bolted

I saw this technique used on the backstay of one cage, and they were just bolted to the bodycapping :o

Another favourite is this cage

CTR4p129.jpg

It appears to have plumbing bends welded into the tube to make the bends :o

CTR4p131.jpg

And the backstays are bolted or welded to the body cappings

CTR4p134.jpg

I remember when vic rolled at Llanfylin he went end over end then 2 or 3 rolls but was ok afterwards