Argoshield or Argon

Les Henson

A grown up once told me that Argosdhield has CO2 in it so you'll get more penetration. The amout of CO2 increases from light through universal to heavy, at least, I think that's what he said! :ph34r:

I suppose Argoshield sits in the middle of the range with Argon at one end and pure CO2 at the other?

FWIW and I am not an expert, this is how I understand it...

100% Argon is used for welding stainless and aluminium. it is a true inert gas so you are doing tru MIG welding.

Argoshield is CO2 with between 5% and 15% Argon in depending on the grade (light (5-6%ish) / medium (10-12%ish) / heavy (15-18%ish). By using CO2 rather than Argon, you are using an Active gas (so are in fact MAG welding) but the CO2 provides an active shield and allows more penetration.

Pub gas is 100% CO2 but is usually a much lower grade gas and has much more moisture dissolved in it, so dosn't give the cleanest of welds.

As I said, this is not accurate in any way, but I work on the fact that you use Argoshield for Mild Steel, and Argon for Ally or Stainless (obviously with the correct filler wire).

I use Argoshield Medium...

Mark

Argoshield is a trade name, other suppliers do an Argon/CO2 mix, sometimes with a few % of nitrogen too. Most suppliers have the same range, light through to heavy, with a 'universal' (usually the one available in smaller sizes) thrown in the mix too.

Hi Les

Argoshield is from boc theres a whole page of info here http://www.bocindustrial.co.uk/product_inf.../argoshield.asp

basically from what i gather they fiddle with the gas composition to change the welding characteristics, I personally use argoshield universal, i find it welds nicely on most thicknesses of m steel.

HTH

Mike

What's the difference between using argon over argoshield, do you get a better weld or something?

Les.

Argoshield or a mix of argon + CO2 for Mig welding

Pure Argon for Tig welding

Pure Argon not suitable for Mig

Argoshield or a mix of argon + CO2 for Mig welding

Pure Argon for Tig welding

Pure Argon not suitable for Mig

As he says above :lol:

I know as I ran out of Argosheild Light (MIG) and tried using argon (Pure) make the weld feel "Hotter" and easier to pop a hole

Argosheild Light for MIG

Nige