wibbly wobbly speedo

Great stuff Mr Wabbit, looks like a visit to Maplins for some items in the near future.

No problem Ralph :) I look forward to seeing a built up version, I'll let you decide how to package it up for installation! No doubt you will have it done before I get round to fitting the speedo.

No problem Ralph :) I look forward to seeing a built up version, I'll let you decide how to package it up for installation! No doubt you will have it done before I get round to fitting the speedo.

I very much doubt I'll be that fast, took me nearly 6 years to wire up my heated screen.

Thanks to Neil (V8 Freak) I now have a video clip of the flashing LED on a real TD5. The LED is off for longer than it is on so I shall look at making a few mods to the circuit to see if we can get it to imitate the proper pattern.

Respect to de wabbit for he hath understanding of the small brightly coloured bits !

Mo

He does elektrikery that Star Trek would be proud of Mo...... I get humble just being in the room.... If I understand 3 out of 10 words from Mr Wabbit when he's talking his trade I'm chuffed at myself.. :)

And he has two fantastic dogs....... Little Bodger (Did I get it right?) is such a happy bouncy chap.....

It's Dodger ya cheeky bugger :P lol

Anyway thanks to V8 Freaks patience this evening we have a final circuit that produces a flash that is near as the TD5 one as it's gonna get.

Had to add a couple more components to get the mark space ratio correct as the LED should be on for less time than it's off.

post-25689-0-30888100-1367701666_thumb.jpg

IC1 = CD4001UBE (This must be a CMOS version other types have too low a max voltage)
R1 = 3.9 M ohm resistor
R2 = 10K ohm resistor
R3 = 470K ohm resistor
R4 = 68K ohm resistor
C1 = 150nF capacitor
C2 = 150nF capacitor
D1 = 1N4007 diode
D2 = 1N4007 diode
Transistor = BC547

And a quick video of it working, in the video some of the flashes will seem to last longer than others, this is not the case in real life but is just down to the video frame rate on my phone clashing with the length of the LED on time. In fact the video misses some of the pulses completely, hand on heart all pulses are the same length and none are missing .... damn phone!

I'd knock it up on some veroboard and give it a good spray with some sort of laquer/conformal coating to protect it from moisture. Then just stick it inside the binacle with a bit of foam double sided tape.

BTW the two 150nF capacitors could be replaced with one 300nF if you like, I just used what I had available.

attachicon.gifspeedo flasher 3.jpg

IC1 = CD4001UBE (This must be a CMOS version other types have too low a max voltage)

R1 = 3.9 M ohm resistor

R2 = 10K ohm resistor

R3 = 470K ohm resistor

R4 = 68K ohm resistor

C1 = 150nF capacitor

C2 = 150nF capacitor

D1 = 1N4007 diode

D2 = 1N4007 diode

Transistor = BC547

Er, are you sure this is supposed to mean something to me ?

Mo

looking good, I know the led in my speedo works so -----------------------

Casting a hook here, smileys-fish-805431.gif

would you be willing to build some ?

I'm not expert at soldering small fiddly lekky items to a circuit board, obviously the parts & time to assemble & post would be paid for.

I'll have a little think and price up the bits.

If I do them it would be supplied as a circuit board with 4 wire tails to connect it up. I reckon it could be stuck in place with some of those foam double sided pads but I'll leave it up to the buyer to get those or a small case for it.

It would be built on some type of prototype board.

Hi All,

I've looked and looked on this thread but cannot find anywhere that I can find the top red plug and connectors for my speedo conversion, Could someone please point me in the direction of getting hold of one, I'm happy with the rest of the dials as I have red LED's in them and can see them fine and dandy at night just wanted a TD5 speedometer which I've done but instead of the crimped connectors I have on there I'd like the proper plug for it :D

TIA

John

Hi All,

I've looked and looked on this thread but cannot find anywhere that I can find the top red plug and connectors for my speedo conversion, Could someone please point me in the direction of getting hold of one, I'm happy with the rest of the dials as I have red LED's in them and can see them fine and dandy at night just wanted a TD5 speedometer which I've done but instead of the crimped connectors I have on there I'd like the proper plug for it :D

TIA

John

Contact the seller of this auction http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151031007465 he doesn't have any listed at the moment but he regularly lists them.

That's me tiphat.gif

I haven't relisted them because I only have one set left (3 connectors, in fact; so, if someone needs just one connector :) ), and I'm struggling to find more stocks.

These are genuine AMP/Tyco connectors and terminals, exactly the same parts as found on the factory wiring harness.

PM me if you're interested.

For future reference for the thread, the 10 pin housing is available from your local friendly VW/Audi/Skoda/Seat dealer.

Part number for the housing is 357 035 447 B, and current retail price is £5.11

The pins are also available from VAG, although they sell them pre crimped onto short lengths of wire. The pins are available in various thicknesses, and come in various types, some with gold pins, some with plain, some with high temperature wires etc.

The part number for a standard 0.5mm^2 wire is 000 979 021 E. These come with two pins, attached to either end of a short length of wire, and have a minimum order quantity of 5. One wire costs £3.42 at current retail prices, so its not a cheap way to do it, but might get someone out of a bind!

I made reference to the VAG number in my eBay listing.

There's another ebay seller, selling the connector housings individually, without terminals -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170790428298

$(KGrHqF,!ksE8Or0d-jFBPR8G)5tnQ~~60_12.J

He works out a bit cheaper than the VAG dealer.

You can use standard Junior Power Timer female terminals in them...

But, the ones that most sellers stock are meant for the sealed connector series, so have a different shaped rear, to accomodate the wire seal, instead of crimping to the cable's insulation.

http://www.polevolt.co.uk/acatalog/Junior_Power_Timer_Connectors.html

3-8260-195.jpg . 3-8270-195.jpg

Terminals from VAG

'Repair Wires' (terminals pre-crimped to Yellow cable) -

000 979 021 (0.5 mm²) (as above)

000 979 133 (1.0 mm²)

000 979 225 (2.5 mm²)

000979133.jpg

Loose Terminals

N 906 844 05 (1.0 mm²)

N 906 845 05 (2.5 mm²)

Anyone got a reccomendation for a crimper that does the Warning light panel terminals? The proper crimper is about £250 :o so over £8 a crimp :P

I've got one that does them in my crimper drawer, blue one at the back, with the pre-arranged orange arrow

IMG_1998_zps1600f235.jpg