wibbly wobbly speedo

Anyone got a reccomendation for a crimper that does the Warning light panel terminals? The proper crimper is about £250 :o so over £8 a crimp :P

I use one of these Hozan P-706 crimping tools -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hozan-P-706-CRIMPING-TOOL-/190832887283

$(KGrHqVHJC8E+WwjKDdoBP6843mc7!~~60_12.J

Not cheap, but very versatile.

Unlike the Tyco crimpers, which cost several hundred pounds, and will only crimp one type and size of terminal, these Hozan crimpers will crimp almost every type of terminal you'll find in the connectors used on late model Land Rovers.

I've used them to make perfect crimps on -

MQS sealed (TD5 horns, side repeaters)

MQS unsealed (TD5 clock, Tdci instrument connectors)

040" Multilock (TD5 instrument warning lights connectors)

070" Multilock (switch connectors)

090" Sumitomo unsealed (TD5 14-way instrument harness connector, hazard warning lights switch connector, 20-way circuit headers)

090" Sumitomo sealed (TD5 main/engine/chassis harness interconnects, Denso alternator connector)

070" Econoseal (NAS lamp connectors)

Junior Timer & Junior Power Timer - sealed and unsealed

As well as several other types of terminal.

• 1 year later...

I've finally got round to doing the speedo this week - converted my 200tdi to the td5 warning light panel about a year ago now. I've spent the last few nights preparing the wiring and put it all in this afternoon, on the test drive the speedo was even more wibbly wobbly than before, and about 10-15mph under!

Took the transducer out, the square drive bit had totally snapped off, and it turns out it was not sitting square - with the retaining bolt done up, it was pulling in at an angle which I didn't realise before. Has anyone else had this trouble? I suspect it'll need a washer or something behind the hole in the transducer for the retaining bolt so it sits square, then the whole lot will line up and hopefully it won't happen again. It was a legit version, not a cheap copy, but I've had it for a year or two now waiting to be fitted so no chance of returning it.

Is the transducer td5 specific or is it also fitted to the puma by any chance?

The one in that diagram looks a lot different to the one I have, which looks like this....

ybe100530-transducer-5527-p%5Bekm%5D300x

The one in that diagram actually looks like the Disco version...like this...

Land_Range_Rover_Discovery_Defender_Spee

I'll slide under one of the puma defenders at work on Monday and see whats fitted...if its compatible there may be a swap done...

In true Landy spirit, I got bored and had a look through my spares department to see if anything else would do. I've got a transfer box out of a 300tdi Disco, and it still had the sensor on it, so thought I'd give that a go. I've already read that it gives double the pulses per mile so would result in it reading double, but thought that would be better than the nothing at all that I currently have. It certainly looks like I wouldn't have the same trouble again - the square drive piece in the Disco one is metal rather than plastic, and when bolted up it was all square, unlike when the Defender item was fitted.

Unfortunately though, it didn't read anything at all with the Disco sensor. The pins are correct as far as i can tell, so I don't think it's wired wrong, and it did work when it was still in my old Disco. Just out of interest, does anyone know if the Disco sensor does result in a double reading, or results in no movement of the needle like I'm having?

I will try and get a replacement Defender sensor tomorrow, I'm just impatient and curious :D

......Just out of interest, does anyone know if the Disco sensor does result in a double reading, or results in no movement of the needle like I'm having?

I will try and get a replacement Defender sensor tomorrow, I'm just impatient and curious :D

It should work, read this post http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=69070&p=644014 DDT is actually using a disco sender for his after I modified his speedo to read the correct number of pulses.

• 1 month later...

A big thanks to all regarding this and the Td5 dash threads :i-m_so_happy:

Just got to wire the green transducer thingy at the gearbox then the dash conversion is finished

It was a bit more entertaining as im using an early v8 loom

Speedo still looks a mile out :hysterical:

post-19862-0-61656900-1413328608_thumb.jpg

TD5 Warning lights

post-19862-0-62177600-1413328665_thumb.jpg

TD5 instrument binnacle complete with harness and 14-way sumitomo connector + warning lights connectors + temp. sender + Econoseal connector ( for speedo transducer [not included] )

£130 Buy it Now - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/defender-td5-instrument-cluster-1998-2006-/221577811938

$_57.JPG

Not me selling it (although, he did buy the connectors from me :) ) - just thought that someone thinking of doing this conversion might be interested.

• 2 months later...

The thing is there is no hazard lights feed to the warning lamp panel, the original warning lamp cluster uses the same lamp for left indicate, right indicate, and hazard. The hazards illuminate the lamp through the left/right indicate feeds

Can you use gr/wh for RH indicator, gr/red for LH indicator feeds (splice from stalk for +ve feed) and then pick up the gr/wh from the hazard switch to feed the hazard warning (connect to bk/red)

I'm pretty sure I read someone done this....possibly on this thread