wibbly wobbly speedo

cheers western!

right done a test and the panel is fine. i just don't think I've made a good job inserting the pins into the connector!

so I've ordered some new connectors from paul and a load of 1mm cable and I'm gonna attach a 3" wire to the pins and insert them on bench so i can do a better job, then just join wires after.

is there a knack to crimping the little buggers! I'm using the hozan tool. seem to be able to crimp the wires in fine but always make a bit of a mess of the cable crimp! this is what is making it difficult to insert them think

Gordon,

The 040 terminals in the 16-way and 20-way instrument warning lights connectors, won't take 1.0mm2 cable.

They're sized for 20 - 24 AWG, which works-out to 0.2 - 0.56mm2

The factory crimps on these terminals are narrow and high -

post-148-0-00930500-1437081642_thumb.jpg . post-148-0-54815600-1437081643_thumb.jpg . post-148-0-30910800-1437081645_thumb.jpg

It's not possible to replicate the above, using the Hozan crimper.

However, the Hozan crimper will crimp these terminals, you just have to do it in stages.

post-148-0-63338700-1437081853_thumb.jpg

Stage 1 - crimp the conductor, using 1.7L

Stage 2 - crimp the conductor, using 1.4

Stage 3 - crimp the insulation, using 2.4L

Stage 4 - crimp the insulation, using 2.0L

Stage 5 - crimp the insulation, using 1.7L

It sounds a bit of a 'faff' - but, you soon get the hang of it.

When I send you your connectors and teminals tomorrow, I'll include an 040 terminal crimped to a length of 0.5mm2 cable, that I've crimped using the stages above.

Paul.

thanks paul, so I'm now gonna hv to buy some .05mm2 gauge cable. I'm surprised it isn't mentioned in retros guide, i though he had just crimped straight into the existing loom.

on the plus side drove in dark for first time with new clocks! wow!! amazing difference.

thanks paul, so I'm now gonna hv to buy some .05mm2 gauge cable. I'm surprised it isn't mentioned in retros guide, i though he had just crimped straight into the existing loom.

on the plus side drove in dark for first time with new clocks! wow!! amazing difference.

On older vehicles with wiring with the thick PVC insulation, it's very difficult to crimp these terminals properly.

big hands and small terminals don't help haha

I know what you mean - have a look at my post, here - http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=14892&p=802060

right just had a look on VWP site and polevolt and neither stock the range of colour combos in0.5mm2. anyone know who might? or should i forget about colour coding as they will be very short runs

You won't find many suppliers who sell 0.5mm2 cable with trace colours, by the metre.

The only one that I'm aware of, is Colin at Kojaycat - http://kojaycat.co.uk/epages/950000457.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/950000457/Products/%22TW0.5mm%20Cut%20Tracer%22/SubProducts/%22TW0.5mm%20Cut%20Tracer-0014%22

Crimping the terminals onto my Tdi loom was a bugger yes, but got there in the end with perseverance and a lot of fiddling.

worth the hassle though! I'm loving the new clocks! definitely best mod I've done, and its not finished yet either!

• Like 1

The odometer is lit by two surface mount LED's soldered directly to the PCB inside the speedo, I doubt anything is wrong with those. It's hard to tell from the photo but it looks like you aren't getting any light from those LED's so I'd say you have a wiring issue.

EDIT: I'd check Pin 10 of connector A is getting +12v when ignition is turned on

Right having totally botched my first attempt, this time I followed Paul's instructions for crimping and did it properly.

Every one of them glided into place perfectly!

C5DCC7A2-5A43-4526-A78F-1CF2551FAE4D_zps

Now I have new problem.

When I push the connector half way in all the lights work fine. Once connector is pushed all the way in there is nothing!

I guess it's loosing connection somehow.

success!!

all in and working!! haven't wired up low fuel light yet and also getting abs light on when handbrake is on!

what a massive improvement very worth while mod!.C61B5974-0FD5-427B-87D4-1740462629FA_zps

big thanks to retroanacona for his guide

paulMc for all his help on the connector side of things

and cwazywabbit for sorting the mileage on the speedo!!

• Like 1