wibbly wobbly speedo

• 2 weeks later...

Mo or Jamie -----------

speedo bulb holders I know they need a partial twist But can't get any tools on them, my speedo has 2 dead bulbs & I want to change them & are they integral with the holder or seperate bulbs ?

[12v 1.2 watt caplees aka wedge type]

what have you used to remove/refit them ?

Further info on changing the speedo bulbs Here

• 2 weeks later...

You guys have been a bad influence on me! Having read through the above, I went and bought a TD5 dash for my 200Tdi - it's one of the types which also has a rev-counter, however. I've bought a transducer for the speedo, but does anyone here know the best way to generate a signal to make the tach work? Any help would be much appreciated! :)

Guest diesel_jim

The Td5 rev counter runs off of the ECU,

what you'll probable need is one off of the 50th anniversary 90, which you can run off of the alternator tapping, thats what i had on my 300Tdi 90.

it looks more or less identical to the Td5 one.

part # AMR5724

Thanks for the helpful replies chaps! :)

Also have a look @ Croytec they have the genuine Td5 logo rev counter & the VDO version. just open the 'gauges' link in the left sidebar.

Before I go any further, I think I'd better find out what model my dash came from, as it doesn't look like anything on there...

I thought you were talking Defender instrument packs, not Discovery 2 packs, which that one is, looking at my parts info.

Oh bum... :unsure: I asked for a Defender TD5 dash, and they've clearly sent me the wrong one... Will the speedo still work off the same transducer? I don't care about the fitment issues - I'll soon sort those... Anyone here know what signal drives the tacho on a Disco TD5? If I can find out, I'll find a way of attaching a suitable pulse generator to the engine!

Anyway - many thanks for setting me straight! :)

Yes, it looks like I'll have to... :(

Yup, send it back Paddy, that's not a defender one, it wouldn't fit very well anyway :( however since the Disco still uses an LT230 transfer box it would probably be possible to fit the Disco 2 transducer :)

Personally, I'd get a defender one, then you'll have the benefit the damped fuel gauge and warning light as well and well as the blacked out warning light panel and far improved illumination, and it'll fit where your old one went :) Try to make sure you get the electrical plugs with it, it will make life sooooooo much easier.

Mo