Ford Explorer

s2hotdog

Mate of mine is looking for a cheap 4x4 was hoping for a defender 110 300tdi but there proving to be expensive - mainly due to a shortage as alot get exported so I'm told :angry::angry:

So hes looking at alternatives the above is one of them

Any others you can reccomend?

He wants to tow a boat - large rib and has a couple of large dogs and kids etc

Hes looking for this as a second type car/toy to chuck everything in the back with the boat etc for family days out etc.

Any replies mucho appreaciated :rolleyes:

Cheers

Steve

Agree with the Disco especially a commercial ,or a standard 3 door which are cheaper as a way to go, tow a monstrous caravan with mine as well as dogs in the back as well as the rest of the carp i seem to carry. as for explorers our kid had one, its cost a fortune in spare parts and not always easily available.

Regards

Keith

My wife has an Isuzu Bighorn which is a heck of a lot of car for the money. Being Jap import it is low mileage (40k) and completely rust-free. It's got a big 3.1TD engine, pulls like a train, seats 7 (kids, dogs, bikes etc) and being a Jap import prices are low - approx £4k for one in our condiiton. Parts cheap too. Recommended. Wifey may sell hers in near future too as she's just today stuffed in the back of my BMW and I'm going to send her out to work to pay it off. Stupid cow!

My wife has an Isuzu Bighorn which is a heck of a lot of car for the money. Being Jap import it is low mileage (40k) and completely rust-free. It's got a big 3.1TD engine, pulls like a train, seats 7 (kids, dogs, bikes etc) and being a Jap import prices are low - approx £4k for one in our condiiton. Parts cheap too. Recommended. Wifey may sell hers in near future too as she's just today stuffed in the back of my BMW and I'm going to send her out to work to pay it off. Stupid cow!

Not a good day re the stuffing then Simon

Fitted the springs and shocks - thanks BTW

Steve

He could do worse than getting a discovery... Fairly cheap too compared to defenders. Or is that too small? Whats his budget?

A bit o/t but thats a really nice clean white unmolested unstickered 110 you,ve got there 'specially wiv dem wheels!! Almost identical to my very own unmolested unstickered white truck but I 'avent got dem wheels..................yet, still got nice clean white std ones with avon rangies. factory fresh!!

i have got a toyota landcruiser 4.2 vx auto.Built like a tank and would tow the titanic :D .Plus its as big as a 110 and you get climate control,f&r difflocks,7(cumfy) seats etc included.I have had landrovers all my life but this is without doubt the best towcar i have ever had.I put it up for sale on this forum a couple of months ago but didnt sell(maybe not the best place to advertise a toyota :ph34r: )

Paul ;)

post-839-1181508599_thumb.jpg

A bit o/t but thats a really nice clean white unmolested unstickered 110 you,ve got there 'specially wiv dem wheels!! Almost identical to my very own unmolested unstickered white truck but I 'avent got dem wheels..................yet, still got nice clean white std ones with avon rangies. factory fresh!!

that's cos it's his employers vehicle not his own, without that 110 BB is LRless :lol:

that's cos it's his employers vehicle not his own, without that 110 BB is LRless :lol:

Ah but that also means I don't pay the diesel, tax or repair bills. :lol: After getting this one, I sold my own, because it was't getting any use. :(

Another vote for Discovery here. You can get more stuff in a Disco than a 110, its as cheap to fix and run generally and its more comfy on long runs. A really nice S1 300TDi ES spec one costs vitually nuffin' now.

V8 Series 2 Discoverys on LPG are getting very tempting at the moment.

I still love my 110 though.

Will :)