Series one

Luwts

Anyone here have some images or information on Series one offroaders?

I'm thinking of building one, but all i've got is the body, the other bits will come from various models in the process and should be on a small budget...

My idea was, 88inch body on 88 inch chassis, leafs or paras, S3 salisbury rear axle and series 3 front axle, 4bolt pas, V8 3.5 carbs and 4 speed Rangie manual gearbox.

The idea is too look as much stealth as possible, but with a rangie gbox and a salisbury rear axle, i'll end up with a very short prop maybe?

What do u think?

Luwts (Malta)

Anyone here have some images or information on Series one offroaders?

I'm thinking of building one, but all i've got is the body, the other bits will come from various models in the process and should be on a small budget...

My idea was, 88inch body on 88 inch chassis, leafs or paras, S3 salisbury rear axle and series 3 front axle, 4bolt pas, V8 3.5 carbs and 4 speed Rangie manual gearbox.

The idea is too look as much stealth as possible, but with a rangie gbox and a salisbury rear axle, i'll end up with a very short prop maybe?

What do u think?

Luwts (Malta)

Can't help with images sorry.The running gear sounds fine, but I think you should think about stretching the wheelbase out as far as possible to retain a rear propshaft long enough to permit a reasonable degree of articulation.

Bill.

Thanks for your reply, i researched a lot on landrover magazines, but the ones I found are all with an original gearbox, which I beleive it can never handle the stress caused by the V8....

Is a 101 bellhousing, easy to find in Uk? here in Malta only three forward control are known to exist, but no parts are available.

Thanks

Luwts

Thanks for your reply, i researched a lot on landrover magazines, but the ones I found are all with an original gearbox, which I beleive it can never handle the stress caused by the V8....

Is a 101 bellhousing, easy to find in Uk? here in Malta only three forward control are known to exist, but no parts are available.

Thanks

Luwts

The 101 bellhousings are about 4 inches shorter than RR ones but the t/case is still about 4 inches longer than a series t/case. add 2'' for the Salisbury diff pinion and you still have to do a bit of juggling with engine /transmission placement in order to retain a rear propshaft of reasonable dimensions unless you stretch the wheelbase a little.

I've seen spare 101 bellhousings even here in Australia from time to time, so I'd imagine one should be reasonably easy to track down in the UK.

Bill.

So i have to scrap my idea of a salisbury at the rear :angry:

my main reason was that a salisbury is much stronger than the other landrover axles.

So what setups, old trialers use for gboxes and axles?

thanks for all your replies

Luwts

So i have to scrap my idea of a salisbury at the rear :angry:

my main reason was that a salisbury is much stronger than the other landrover axles.

So what setups, old trialers use for gboxes and axles?

thanks for all your replies

Luwts

I believe most offroading in Malta is on rocky surfaces,and that quite a few offroaders over there use Salisburies in the front as well as rear, so I wouldn't scrap the idea necessarily. Look at mounting the V8 and gearbox as far forward as possible like on a stage one or 110 and determine how long your rear shaft will be then. If you tilt the rear diff up 12 to 15 degrees this will alleviate the severe U joint angles. You may have to trial and error U joint phasing via the slip yoke to reduce driveshaft harmonics over a variety of speeds but it's all doable.

Bill.

• 1 month later...
If you tilt the rear diff up 12 to 15 degrees this will alleviate the severe U joint angles.

I built an 83" wheelbase offroader from a standard range rover - V8/3spd auto - and i altered the angles of both diffs to help the propshaft situation, but i did it the easy way....

i shortened the chassis as much as i wanted to, then cut an inverted 'V' before welding the two halves back together, this means the chassis rails rise to a point in the middle of the vehicle and point both diff noses upwards. It did take a small bit of fiddling to get it just how i wanted it, but it was all driveway engineering!

Then I lowered the rear mountings of the transfer box (as it was pointing upwards with the front half of the chassis) to near the original height from the ground, then raised the front engine mounts to make the engine and box level and hey presto, a very short rear prop that was nearly a straight line!

I ended up with a very light rear end on the vehicle, so was able to mount a single, centeral shock absorber on the axle (it was actually the redendant steering dampener) and put disslocation cones and check chains each side (carefully measured so the prop shaft wouldnt bind) and then the amount of travel it had was quite amazing...

And i never destroyed a prop shaft!

So if a sailsbury is 2" longer than a rover, and you are building an 88", then you should be able to do it without a problem, just some careful thinking.

Hope this helps

• 2 weeks later...

I think the price is too high for my tastes.

And than after all what is an offroader without lockers CILLI :P

hahhahah

Cu Luwts

Luwts

you might also take the easy way out and buy one ready made....

I happen to know of one rather close to you :D :D :D and the owner MIGHT be willing if a fair price is offered...