Back in Series ownership

steve_a

Well after 6 months of not owning a series (switched to a 90 and sold the old S3 truck cab) I have rejoined the fold and bought a S3 with a mate.

The chassis looks mint, the bulkhead is clean (apart from a bit down near bottom passenger door), the doors aren't rotten.

The bad points are:

new tyres and probably wheels needed all round

wiring seems rubbish - so going to do a rewire

engine is probably duff, but a spare 2.5 N/A came with it which is a "good unit"

I'm just gonna rip out the old loom and put a new one in, we will be having a lot of it apart anyway, but is there any bits to watch out for? I was thinking the instrument panel is about the only bit that needs some care, the rest is just wires.

I was going to relay all the lights as well, I know my last indicator stalk was a pig for suffering from excess current going through it.

Also it came with a defender fuel tank, is there any reason to use this for the conversion? I was just going to stick with the series one and the sender etc.

The radiator - is this good enough for a 2.5 or would we be better sourcing a 2.5 rad to fit?

Finally what about the fuel filter - is the series one OK will I need to look at sodbury for the 2.5 mount for one?

"Finally what about the fuel filter - is the series one OK will I need to look at sodbury for the 2.5 mount for one?"

If you have the Series glass bowl type on the Series......then i would keep it.

The Defender one, on the 110 at least, mounts below the drivers floor and is susceptible to corrision......

Good Luck withe the project :)

When you replace the wiring loom, don't bother trying to get it back inside the chassis, just fix it to the top of the chassis rail. with zip ties or similar.

Les. :)

I did it with P-clips and 2BA stainless screws, sent the brake line down the top of the chassis as well :)

I don't think there is anything wrong with the tank, but a good inspection takes place this weekend. As ever though only filling it to the brim will show if there is a problem like the porus rust effect I had with brother RR (of course after £55 worth of petrol had got put in).

Wiring loom is going outside - zip or p clips, what ever I come across at the right price :)

so it looks like leave the rad as well.

First job is convincing the mate to clear some of his gash from the garage so we can get the truck in, then remove the hardtop to get it in (stupidly low garage door). After that it will be working in relative warmth hopefully - much better than the refurb of the RR which my brother made us do in December... cold cold flooooor.

I'm mainly excited at seeing the old girl back on the road, I've got a real love for the Series 3's, I like my 90, but the S3 is the very essence of land rover IMHO.

Wiring loom is going outside - zip or p clips, what ever I come across at the right price :)

While that is a workable soln if you've got any wire running through the chassis surely its got to be worth using the wire that's there to pull through a draw string and then use that at your lesuire later to pull through a nice piece of 7core. Much tidier and you'll not be drilling lots of holes in your chassis to fit P clips.