Metal to metal joints

Hi

I am putting rear steps between towball and slider. After much huffing and puffing have got old bolts off and I have now cleaned up back of the towball and front of the slider so all bits of rust and most of the paint residue removed. I am planning towball - steps - slider with M16 bolts and a spring washer behind the nut at the back. As far as I can see it is all steel.

My question is should I put a layer of paint or red oxide over the bare metal before putting it all together and cranking it up tight or would I be better with just a smear of grease to keep air and moisture out? The steps have come with a black paint finish but I guess I just leave that well alone.

My instinct would be to paint but I don't have much experience with metal so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Malcy

Hi

I am putting rear steps between towball and slider. After much huffing and puffing have got old bolts off and I have now cleaned up back of the towball and front of the slider so all bits of rust and most of the paint residue removed. I am planning towball - steps - slider with M16 bolts and a spring washer behind the nut at the back. As far as I can see it is all steel.

My question is should I put a layer of paint or red oxide over the bare metal before putting it all together and cranking it up tight or would I be better with just a smear of grease to keep air and moisture out? The steps have come with a black paint finish but I guess I just leave that well alone.

My instinct would be to paint but I don't have much experience with metal so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Malcy

Why not do both? Paint and then a dob of grease as well. ;)

I was once told by someone on a forum, that if you painted your wheels. then there was a risk that the wheel nuts would come loose as the paint compresses or wears away. I would assume the same here. So personally I would do neither, and then just seal the seam (with grease or paint) once you have creamed the bolts up if you are worried about what it looks likes.