Instrument voltage regulator

Gareth Dickens

I seem to have a bum voltage regulator on my instruments (fuel and temp gauge) on my SIII. I have gotten a new one but I am a bit worried that my wires are swapped ( thus killing my voltage regulator). The old regulator had 4 pins (2 bridged pairs) of which 2 had a B next to them and the other an I. Is this B for Battery and I for instrument? My manual is not very clear on this section. The new regulator has no markings. Are these regulators polarity sensitive?

Please help

I seem to have a bum voltage regulator on my instruments (fuel and temp gauge) on my SIII. I have gotten a new one but I am a bit worried that my wires are swapped ( thus killing my voltage regulator). The old regulator had 4 pins (2 bridged pairs) of which 2 had a B next to them and the other an I. Is this B for Battery and I for instrument? My manual is not very clear on this section. The new regulator has no markings. Are these regulators polarity sensitive?

Please help

As a general rule power goes out of sockets and into pins. So the spade type connectors on the regulator are for the battery. Thats the way it is on mine anyway.

this reminds me i have to change mine, too...

could a change of the alternator (to a 70Amp one) be the reason, for it not showing correct readings on the fuel and temp gauges? (sorry for the thread-hijack, Gareth)

this reminds me i have to change mine, too...

could a change of the alternator (to a 70Amp one) be the reason, for it not showing correct readings on the fuel and temp gauges? (sorry for the thread-hijack, Gareth)

As long as it's a 12 volt alternator it shouldn't effect the instruments. The point of the regulator is to supply a constant voltage output over a range of input voltages. (Actual the output is a squarewave, but the effect is the same)

Don't forget that the regualtor needs a good earth.

• 2 weeks later...

hope this helps:

circuitdiagramkc0.jpg

circuitdiagramkeyqu2.jpg

Green lead, between 35amp fuse #8 (at 23) and the voltage stabilizer (at 29) connects to terminal "B"

Light Green lead, between the voltage stabilizer (at 29) and both gauges (at 35 and 36) connects to terminal "I"

(if the wires in your instrument panel are like mine, there's no Green or Light Green leads... just a mix of pieces of wires in every possible color :ph34r: )