This week I have mostly been...(dial up warning)

Paul

I have a young nephew who's an industrial sparky and had him lined up get me some 35mm cable cheap. It turns out they don't use stuff that small very often where he works, so the best he could do was trade price. He turns up the next day with 30m of 50mm double insulated cable they use on boilers, that I could have for free. Well, what could I say, really. :D Actually what I did say was, "now go away and get me a loan of an hydraulic crimper, I'm not crimping those lugs on with a manual one", which he duly did.:lol:

I've had a split charge controller connected to the 2 Exide Orbitals (Maxximas for you UK lot) for a while now, but I thought it was time to finally install the 'Discharge Controller' that's been sitting in the shed for months. This little do-hicky isolates that Aux battery from the accessories circuit if the voltage drops below 10.5V, just to prevent permanent damage being done. Here's the charge controller and discharge controllers installed before the batteries went back in:

PA080039Small.jpg

and another showing the circuit breakers:

PA080040Small.jpg

Unfortunately the battery box is now getting crowed. The charge controllers and circuit breakers now take up space that the relays for the A/C, central locking and alarm module used to occupy. I moved them to the front of the battery box:

PA080041Small.jpg

I wanted to be able to isolate the power to the winch and most of the isolators I could find were only rated at something like 250A continuous. This seemed to be a fair bit light on for me. The solution was a marine battery switch, which is rated at 350A continuous and 600A for 5 minutes. This not only provides for isolating the power to the winch, it also allows me as to power the winch from either or both batteries. A bonus is in 'both' mode, it will bypass the charge controller in case that ever has a hissy fit.

PA140051Small.jpg

All installed with both batteries back in place, there isn't much room left at all. It's just as well all the relays for driving lights, headlights, compressor, booster fan etc are in a separate waterproof box under the left wing.

PA140050Small.jpg

And finally, I picked up a little thing on ebay (ex Canada I think). Someone was selling original Warn stickers which looked like just the thing for the top of the bullbar where the freespool lever pokes through:

PA140052Small.jpg

Now that's almost bling to Moglites level. :P

Nice work, like the marine switching, where did that come from ?

Nige, it seems I've taken the lead from HfH's school over OTT engineering here. 50mm cable to power the winch, and the winch itself is mounted in a cradle of 150mm x 10mm plate that's bolted to the inside of the ARB bullbar and the chassis rails. The bullbar was probably strong enough on its own for the winch, but when you get some 10mm plate for free... :rolleyes: At least the recovery eyes (12mm plate ;) ) wont get pulled off the bullbar in a hurry, they're bolted through the winch cradle too.

PA150053Small.jpg

The switch was from one of the marine suppliers here in Oz called Whitworths. We have a chain of them around the country:

http://www.whitworths.com.au/main_itemdeta...tAbsolutePage=1

Col

Leaving first thing tomorrow. Straight up to Rawnsley Park Station, then Skytrek Monday. Hopefully I'll only need the winch for dragging around the Ford Courier & Holden Rodeo that are joining us. :huh:

Until next Sat, you've got the helm. :)