Turbo Outlet Temp

Hi,

Can anyone tell me the turbo outlet temp for a TDi. I'm talking about for the air, not the exhaust gases. I've gort a disco TD5 rad and intercooler assembly installed in my 90 and the connections all align perfectly with my Mazda 35SL engine's water and intake / turbo connections with the exception of the intercooler connections being on the wrong side as the turbo is on the RHS (drivers side) and the inlet on the other. Thought about turning the intercooler upside down but with the TD5 rad there are cut outs for the intercooler hose and it all sits nicely as is.

The outlet header on the TD5 intercooler is some form of plastic whereas the inlet is aluminium. The way I'm looking to use it, this will be reversed. Do you think it will melt? LR obviously made one side aluminium for areason although the plastic does seem like a durable high temperature type. Would this be belt and braces stuff?

If it get's so hot, why don't the rubber hoses connecting it melt?

I'm obviously trying to convince myself there's no problem but would like some support.... please!?!?

Cheers,

Martin

On my 200Tdi with a full width i/c, the inlet is on the RH side. Across the engine room is an alu pipe and after a drive it's still possible to touch it with a bare hand. Not for too long, though. :o

I have also tried a plastics pipe and it "survived". Problem was however that it collapsed when tightening the hose clamps... :blink:

Good thing is that the outlet to the engine is stone cold to touch, must mean that the i/c does a good job. ;):)

Hi,

Can anyone tell me the turbo outlet temp for a TDi. I'm talking about for the air, not the exhaust gases. I've gort a disco TD5 rad and intercooler assembly installed in my 90 and the connections all align perfectly with my Mazda 35SL engine's water and intake / turbo connections with the exception of the intercooler connections being on the wrong side as the turbo is on the RHS (drivers side) and the inlet on the other. Thought about turning the intercooler upside down but with the TD5 rad there are cut outs for the intercooler hose and it all sits nicely as is.

The outlet header on the TD5 intercooler is some form of plastic whereas the inlet is aluminium. The way I'm looking to use it, this will be reversed. Do you think it will melt? LR obviously made one side aluminium for areason although the plastic does seem like a durable high temperature type. Would this be belt and braces stuff?

I'm obviously trying to convince myself there's no problem but would like some support.... please!?!?

Cheers,

Martin

Isnt it 15 degress C for every 0.1 bar pressure increase (IIRC)? so for a 300Tdi at around 1 bar it would be 150 degrees above ambient.....

Actual compressors are between isothermal and adiabatic.

For adabatic (no heat loss) compression of air:

T2 = T1 * R ^ ((K-1)/K)

K = specific heat ratio = 1.4 for air

R = pressure ratio, say 2 for 15 psi.

T1 = Inlet temperature in K = 300 K

T2 = outlet temperature (K)

T2 = 300 * 2 ^ ((1.4-1)/1.4) gives 93 C worst case with no heat loss during compression. In addition, the water vapour in the gas reduces the temperature increase quite a bit if saturation is reached.

Hi,

Cheers,

Martin

hi martin i think the reason it's ally on the inlet side is for heat transfer, by the time the air gets to the other side it's cooler so not as important. well that's what i think anyway though i could be full of cr4p :rolleyes: can't see it being an issue though.

good luck, paul