19J turbo onto Disco 200TDI

After lurking on here and following Les's excellent thread on putting a disco 200tdi into a Defender http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=2394 I wanted to thank him and White90 for their excellent descriptions!

I basically followed their example but thought I'd add a few comments that may help other novices like me!

I used the TD backplate on the disco engine so the bellhousing bolts line up, so you need to replace the disco 'engine to backplate gasket', £12 from LR (I'll try and remember to post the part no.

When replacing this DON'T put the rear engine crankshaft seal in the backplate first, wait until the backplate is bolted on first. I did and nipped the seal, so had to have the engine out again a week later!:(

I did more or less the same as White90s alternator/PAS pump, but I found his recommendation for the PAS belt (9.5x800mm) too narrow and it wouldn't tension enough and slipped, so used a wider 13x800mm (Unipart GVB20800). But this is probably down to our mounting bracket differences?

The main difference was using the 19J turbo and manifolds. I did this cos my 19J turbo was brand new and same boost, and the disco turbo had play. I also didn't fancy making up a one off zorst pipe.

On the 19J the inlet/exhaust ports are not inline, but they are on the disco lump. So you need to move the 19J inlet manifold up, but it will hit the exhaust manifold:(

So hold them both in front of you and you will see where you need to trim a bit off the clamping are on both with hacksaw/grinder, its only a few mm. The inlet mounting bolts go as normal, but remove the bottom inlet studs from the disco block and use the old TD bolts and thats sorted, the top will clamp later with the exhaust manifold.

The exhaust manifold top bolts line up but need drilling out on the manifold to 10mm (or is it 12mm?) for the disco studs. I also used a long piece of steel 20x5x500mm to clamp along the hole line of top studs. I marked the holes off the disco exhaust gasket and drilled em.

The bottom 3 exhaust mounting holes are too high for the disco studs, so you must open out the bottom side of them with grinder/hacksaw (cough-bodge-cough). Then make 3 clamping plates approx 20x20mm with the hole drilled off centre, so you can position them when bolting down.

Exhaust is then standard 19J and intercooler/air pipes are your own affair! I bought an extra 19J silicone hose (£5 scrappy) and 2m of 50mm steel tube for £5, plus I had the disco air filter box and pipes.

With the 19J manifolds there is a risk of gaskets blowing but theyre only £3 and my friend has had his 90 running this setup for about 8months doing 60miles per day and its been fine. Mines only done 70miles so far and its fine;)

HTH, sorry no pics of the job in progress, but it'll make sense when you've got the bits in front of you.

• 4 weeks later...

And how I managed the pipework using the Disco filter box and some 50mm tube for intercooler. The radiator cowl is the discoTDI one with another piece of plastic riveted to it, but easily removeable. Dunno if it helps when you're at road speed, but maybe would do in low range offroad on hot days?

post-3924-1184322996_thumb.jpg

post-3924-1184323005_thumb.jpg

Looks good, nice install and write up

£5 for the blue turbo hose on the 19J? I didnt realise they were worth so much, I've been giving them away :rolleyes:

You will find that JST and DSN did the write-up that you acredit to White90

Lewis :)

Looks good, nice install and write up

£5 for the blue turbo hose on the 19J? I didnt realise they were worth so much, I've been giving them away :rolleyes:

You will find that JST and DSN did the write-up that you acredit to White90

Lewis :)

Cheers Lewis,

I'll have all your blue elbows, £27 from stealer IIRC!

OOOppps big thanks to JST and DSN!

No worries Rob, we only got our inspiration from Les!

i am just glad your giving away those pipes Lewis - thank you although i think it must be stuck in the postal strike.

i am looking to do another 200disco to def in the coming weeks, may try something different again.

i just need to source a pipe supplier for the intercooler hoses!

I just used all standard disco hoses, a bit of td exhaust, a rover 90 bend and some nice 4mmwall stainless steampipe :blink: I think it looks ok but i want to replace the hoses that i cut with some nicer ones at ome point as i think it makes it look a little rough.

ooh002.jpg

Not bad for a 16 year old :D

Just as another point i did not change the back plate, just removed the locaing dowels and took the bottom 3 (or maybe 4) studs out then drilled and tapped the holes that are allready there and put the studs back in those and they line up a treat.

• 4 months later...

In addition someone spotted my air filter pipework and said:

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeilAkeman

"Rob, at the risk of making myself look a complete idiot - quite easy really, is your air filter rigged right. Shouldn't the air enter by the side tube and leave by the end one? Otherwise youre at risk of sucking in air through the dump valve? Or have you changed the plumbing. Or am I just an idiot?"

No probs and well spotted Neil! The rocker breather goes into the air filter dumpvalve, so that sorts that bit of plumbing without oiling up the filter. But it is in effect working backwards, but filter surface area is same on inside as outside, just the pleats are a tad closer together on the inside. Runs fine. HTH