Sign in to follow this  
landi41

Getting out the Dust Mop

I think that would be mine. I have written about it on several occasions. I'll see if I can find it to save a rewrite.

John

Yes Luke it was John wot started it all :) although you are correct i did write about it years ago it seems.......

Sounds like Todd has pics and all.................

Yes Luke it was John wot started it all :) although you are correct i did write about it years ago it seems.......

Good morning all - thanks guys! Nice website Todd :) The bit I'm most intrigued about was the addition of a new matrix. Connecting up would be easy enough but there's not a lot of room in the box so I'm wondering if anyone's managed to shoehorn another matrix into it without making the box bigger?

Cheers

Luke

Oh Well, I can't find the article so here goes.

My heater mod is in two parts, an addition to the core/matrix and a larger blower.

The change to the core is simple to describe but fairly work intensive. I modified the housing to allow me to stack a second series heater core on top of the original and plumbed the coolant flow so that the core closest to the air outlet was fed with coolant first. This was achieved by opening and cutting the housing and welding in a strip of sheet metal the width of the original core box. The housing then simply looks taller but not much different.

Changes to the blower involve a new blower and cage. The one I used was from a late 80s GM mid size front wheel drive car, the Berretta. However I believe the same unit was used in many GM vehicles for many years.

I was able to fit this into the series 3 blower housing by cutting the mounting hole larger and offcentre. The cage though deeper than the original did fit for depth but closely. A trip to a scrap year with the blower housing in hand was how I came up with this particular blower/cage so others might well fit.

I also used a GM speed contol resistor and mounted that in the heater housing inlet rather than the blower housing for ease of modification.

John

Thanks John, that confirms my thoughts on the housing - that it would need extending and that it would be a fair amount of work.

I'll go for the quick win first - a more powerful electric motor. I only replaced the matrix last year so it's already blowing reasonably hot and might well cope with the increased flow.

Cheers!

Luke

Thanks John, that confirms my thoughts on the housing - that it would need extending and that it would be a fair amount of work.

I'll go for the quick win first - a more powerful electric motor. I only replaced the matrix last year so it's already blowing reasonably hot and might well cope with the increased flow.

Cheers!

Luke

I have found in the past that in really cold weather using the large blower alone will cool the matrix too quickly hence the mod to the heater box and second core. I found it well worth the effort.

John

I hear you. Thanks John.

I hear him too :)

Helpfull observation on the more powerfull blower alone............

This should get "teched"

AHA!!!! Now that's more like it - thanks Richard.

Funnily enough I was trying to find something exactly like that at home last year and I gave up. I really want to put a unit under the middle row of seats as the front generally gets warm thanks to the six-pot exhaust next to the bulkhead, while the rear remains completely cold. Also, no matter what you do to the motor, matrix, etc, the air holes in the dash are still a bit too small. I'm thinking ones of those flex-a-lite things and a Kenlowe pre-heater would be very good investment...

Cheers

Luke