Alutight : welding alumuium

Ayone used Alutight for welding alumium

Its expensive stuff but for small amounts well worth it, there was a Dutch bloke at billing selling the stuff @ £20 per meter, It uses a low heat then introduce the rod while still hot, then scratch (breakes the oxide layer) the joint and the stuff fills the joint.

Its a strongish joint, idea for radaitor holes, but recently used it for keeping together a Aluminium seam on the front wing of a disco, the bit where the side posts join the "A" frame and the wing itself.

There was slight distrotion, so the "a" post would not stay in, could of "MIG"ed it but the time and hassle of changing the wire put us off, also could us pop rivets but look awful on the out side

Weather it will last only time will tell could post pics but still cannot get the photos to post (too big).

As for the use takes a bit of practice but once the the layer breakes you scratch like mad to get good peneration, advantage also is less heat so paint layer less affected, can undo with heat, no safely gogs and all that, and no need for a mig welder and gas, just use a gas blow lamp, have welded extra tie down points on series tub.

Since the price of gas gone though the roof and the ease which it seems to work, does anyone know where i can get more of this in the UK, got some left, but need to keep some in resever for raditor repairs, done 3 this year, and 1 heater matrix, it works and were pressure tested after.

• 7 months later...

Hi Welshlaner,

This thread has gone cold - crystallised maybe - but by chance I noticed your request while googling Alutight

"does anyone know where i can get more of this in the UK, got some left, but need to keep some in resever for raditor repairs, done 3 this year, and 1 heater matrix, it works and were pressure tested after."

At Autosport after closing on Saturday, I caught sight of the Alutight demo stand and delayed the lone guy even longer. I've been involved in aluminium car body-in-white assembly on and off since 1970, but even so was quite impressed, as it appears to offer advantages over some other methods, particularly aftermarket repairs. I cannot give any other endorsement as I haven't tried it myself, nor researched it professionally. However, I did get the following contact details :

Retail sales concession-

Björn Ivholt

Tennisgatan 8

SE-27150 YSTAD

Sweden

tel 0046 (0) 70 627 6572

Trade sales enquiries

alutighteurope@hotmail.com

I understand this is a technology spin-off from Volvo Aerospace (Volvo Flygmotor AB) in Malmö, Sweden, so it's not exactly a UK source, sorry.

The price on the info sheet was £40/metre

Hope that helps