plus one for Craddocks

unclebill1

Ordered a tow bar from Craddocks today, via the net, about eleven thirty, got a phone call at one because of the special instructions message I'd put on the order, fair play, just hope it arrives as quick and i suspect it will.

Bill

Hmm ... just as I get peed off with Cradocks for allowing me to pay for stuff that isn't in stock (some of which won't be until the middle of next week) without telling me, and take my details in case of a problem then don't use them to let me know the entire order is being held up ...

Ok, so the bloke on the phone was more than helpful tonight but I ordered the stuff on-line last Sunday for delivery before this weekend ...

Last time they delivered me one of a pair of carbs then told me if I wanted the other it'd cost about 40% more than quoted on the web site ... grrrr

(A plug for Beamends spares - put order through for a lot of stuff one day, delivered the next for £6.70 ... stuff was a good price and the delivery was a bargain!)

AndyG

A few months ago I ordered some side screens for the hybrid from Craddocks. Their price was as good as anyone's and I had heard good things about their reputation. I was very disappointed: I'm in Exeter and had serious problems with the guys Craddocks use for end point delivery round our way (XDP or something).

I was in and heard the letterbox (but not the doorbell) go, so went down and saw a card on the mat saying they'd called & tried to deliver for the 3rd time and wouldn't deliver again. This was the first card received and I have no doubt the first time they'd been to the address. There was no phone number to ring only an email address, so I emailed them, and even now months later still haven't heard anything back. As well as not ringing the bell, or even knocking and lying about attempts to deliver they also failed to return any contact. :angry:

After a few days I rang Craddocks and ended up spending half a day on the phone to various limbs of their distribution department sorting it out - and only by me playing merry hell did the stuff delivered. Craddocks themselves weren't unhelpful, but they didn't sort out what I regarded as their problem and they weren't open to my suggestion they change end point delivery company for my area. The delivery situation here has put me off ever ordering from them again.

Unfortunately for all involved in distribution, reputations rely to a great extent on couriers. They, like many people these days have trimmed costs and pay peanuts. For remote (ish) areas they will use a local man with a van, rather than their own fleet, which you would think should be better.

We have had cards 'left' in letterboxes that don't exist, restaurants where there was 'nobody there' at lunchtime - I could go on. The reality is the drivers don't give a **** and if they are busy will claim they have been to places they haven't.

So, in reality, Craddocks probably did all they could. But with couriers you are in the lap of the Gods.

Unfortunately for all involved in distribution, reputations rely to a great extent on couriers.

I do agree with that, having had both good and bad experiences of couriers. On the other hand when a firm continues to use a courier that is giving regular reported problems then that's also an issue with the firm and their perception of customer service ... (this comment does not necessarily relate to Craddocks)

AndyG

It is not just the white van man who does not seem to care. The service from "business to business" couriers like DHL and Lynx are very good at what they do but absolute rubbish for home deliveries. Some only make one attempt, don't drop a card and leave you having to drive a 20 mile round trip to collect from their depot. (after numerous phone calls)

I don't understand why the suppliers do not use Parcelforce, if they card me i can pick up from the local post office. Perhaps the suppliers need educating that customer service includes getting the goods from their shed to my house.

My last experience of Craddocks was not a good one. I ordered a boss from them, which I was told would definitely fit a momo wheel for my 200 tdi hard top. Now when i recieved it, guess what - absolutely no chance of it fitting.. Had to send it back to them at my expense, when I requested that they pay for the return shipping was given the total runaround treatment before finally getting them to agree to pay for the shipping. But did they? In a word NO!!

Not happy :angry:

...when a firm continues to use a courier that is giving regular reported problems then that's also an issue with the firm and their perception of customer service...

You must have found a courier that doesn't get you regular reported problems then :lol:

me too, never had a prob with them, but i do get things delivered to work (london) so the delivery service may be better than being out in the sticks

Well, it arrived today, no problems and as I work in a secure MOD establishment I can't have it delivered to work, whose were my special instructions, anyway have to speak as you find, spot on service.

Bill

• 4 weeks later...

Have had very mixed experiences with Craddocks. Website is OK if you know exactly what you want - but no good if you don't. If you have superceded part numbers or need advice about compatibility, while they are friendly & helpful on the phone, the advice is pretty hit & miss. Am currently in the middle of a protracted nause with them over a superceded part (rear door lock substitute part for my '83 110 turned out to be utterly incapable of fitting !). Friendliness reduces as soon as you have a problem - no matter how polite you are.

That's two of the reasons I tend to use Exeter 4x4 for most bits. You can can very knowledgable friendly advice on the phone, and if there are any problems it usually sorted with the minimum of fuss. Like driving up the M5 to meet me to exchange a clutch on a saturday morning (i needed to get the clutch done that weekend) because the one sent was wrong, right part number on box but wrong part in box, so it wasn't really their fault, however they still gave me a full set of filters for my LR for the trouble.

... because the one sent was wrong, right part number on box but wrong part in box, ...

That's similar to the problem i had with craddocks, the difference was in the service though.

I ordered a left & right front door seal. Fitted the left one, & one end was too short the other too long. It took ages for them to respond & when they did, all they said was 'the ones we have in stock measure ok'. no so helpful.

As it turned out, wheni eventually open the bag for the RHS & tried to fit it I realised that the bags were labelled wrong. LHS marked as RHS & vice versa.

i am with Mark90 on this one, fed up with both Craddocks and Padddocks, they quote one thing and bill you something else and then you wait an age for it to arrive.

Exeter4x4 gets my vote everytime and their prices are bloody good. (they arent good on email though!)

Guest WALFY

I'm a Bearmach fan. Get good service and cos I'm not sure of what is avail around here yet it's cheaper for them to send than me go driving around the county. Plus my mate is going back to work there so my discount is fairly healthy :D . But I only deal with Bearmach in Maidstone.