Biggest tyres on a standard 90

Hi.

Its nearly time for a new set of tyres on my 90. Its all standard except for a set of disco steel wheels. Whats the biggest size tyre you can have without catching the arches and not having to adjust any thing.

Thanks Stewart

Largst factory option is 265/75x16 which works very well while leaving a decent turning circle.

Having said that, I believe the offset of Disco steel wheels increases the turning circle so if that is an issue for you, you might be better off changing the wheels.

Largst factory option is 265/75x16 which works very well while leaving a decent turning circle.

Having said that, I believe the offset of Disco steel wheels increases the turning circle so if that is an issue for you, you might be better off changing the wheels.

I ran 255/85/16s on Wolf rims on a standard 90. They never rubbed when I drove round Asda's carpark.

235 is the width in mm and the 85 is the percentage of height to width, ie. The height is 85% of 235mm = nearly 200mm so the overall height is 200mm+200mm+16"(406mm)= 806mm (31.7")

OK?

Will :)

Yep thats fine thanks.

ive got 265/70's on mine on rangie rims and i had to adjust the turning lock nut thingy.

my turning circle hasnt changed enough to notice and ive still got a bit before id need wheel arch mods.

post-2379-1181992768_thumb.jpg

post-2379-1181992793_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hiya steward

I run 265/75/16 dirt devils on mine and although there good on sand gravel & off road - they throw a lot of Cr*P up the side of the vehicle even on-road

I have put front mudflaps on and that reduces the the problem

At the end of the season they will probaly come off & some 235/85/16s will go on reducing the width but keeping the hight

am mentioned watch out for body rub if you ar going to off -road it (mine has a lift so eleminates the problem)

and just remember to avoid tyre rub jut adjust the stops (20 min job) on the front axle

hapy trail

Abe

7.50x16, 235/85x16, 265/75x16 are all standard fitment from LR and

are roughly the same height 32".

If you want taller tyres then 255/85x16 would be good but may rub

during axle articulation off road.

7.50x16, 235/85x16, 265/75x16 are all standard fitment from LR and

are roughly the same height 32".

If you want taller tyres then 255/85x16 would be good but may rub

during axle articulation off road.

My 90 has no problems with turning on or off-road with 33x12.50x15 but the Mach5 Wheels fitted have quite a large offset

LJC

post-2766-1182856955_thumb.jpg

• 10 months later...

Just to briefly dig up an old thread:

AFAIK my defender has the standard steel rims (R16 I presume).

I don't want to have to adjust steering stops, cut bits of my arches away or anything like that, I just need some better tyres as my A/Ts are quite worn, and just fill up with mud/water very quickly.

I'm looking at Premier M/T 235/85/16. Are these any good, and could I get away with wider/taller?

P.S. I'm a poor student,do not want to spend more than around £50 per tyre.

My 90 has no problems with turning on or off-road with 33x12.50x15 but the Mach5 Wheels fitted have quite a large offset

LJC

are the the maxxis creepy crawlers if they are do you recommend them?? been thinking about getting a set of 33" or 35"

thanks

dave