low speed shakes??

Anyone had any experience of a heavy shake at around 45-50mph?

I had all four wheels fully balanced, took it down the road and it's still shaking - it's a bit more violent than a normal out of balance wheel vibration, feels like the whole cars thrashing about :o evens out again at about 55mph and is fine below 45.

I've checked theres no mud on the rims or props - wonder if I've buckled a wheel?? thought that would have shown up on the wheel balancing check though?? :huh:

Sounds a lot like Panhard bushes....

Starts with steering wobble that gets quite violent... Feels like the cars shaking apart and gripping steering wheel doesn't stop it.. Slowing down usually does....

Early wobbles you can drive through.. If the bushes wear more, you gotta slow down.

I was advised to lay under the car while someone else "wobbles" the steering wheel with a bit of venom. Look at the bushes on both ends of the Panhard rod and see if the car moves and the rod doesn't.....

Hope it helps....

Neil

Its the same symptoms for a worn out steering damper &/or loose kingpin bearings as well. To check the damper remove one end & pull/push ...ANY slack or free movement means a new one . Kingpins are checked by jacking up each side front wheel& checking free play with hands at 12/6 o'clock . use axle stand under axle/ radius arm cos your hand is right under tyre...or use a long bar to lift.

HTH

Steveb

May sound daft but check you wheels and tyres are actually round!!.

Jack the vehicle up so the tyre is just of the ground and spin it round checking for any run out.

I have a grizzly claw which I am using as spare that did the same thing, when I checked it the tyre was visable out of true, over 1/2" different in height in some places. Now have a second tyre going the same way, good tyre in the mud but not the best quality control.

It's all come on after a couple of particularly vigorous off roading sessions, involving a couple of hefty dunks in the slop.

Steering dampers a prime candidate for probs as steering seems to go stiff at times, but I might havebent the track rod slightly as well, although it all looks ok from a quick visual check. The wobbling can be really violent at times, but isn't consistent, so I don't think it's a buckled wheel.

I'll have to get my hands grubby at the weekend :D

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the input :) -

Spent a nice wet afternoon crawling underneath, and the uj's are ok thought the prop prob needs changing as the sliding action isn't too hot as the dut shield has got mangled and the plastic stuff that coats the insde of the splines seems to have detached and is making it stiff - been like this for ages though so doubt this has anything to do with it.

Noticed some wear in one of the ball joints on the track bar, so replaced both - panhard rod bushes seeeeem ok, but haven't had chance to road test yet to see if it was the TRE's that were the prob.

Haven't ben able to test the damper yet cos of this BLOODY WEATHER!! :angry:

I'm having similar problems, violent shakes around 35mph. The problem is not consistent, happening most when I slow down from higher speed.

I already tried another set of tires, but to no effect. Wheel bearings have revently (1000 miles) been replaced. I replaced the Panhard busehs, curing the problem for a few 100 miles before it returns. I'm going to check the swivelballbearings, track and steering rod ends and may have a go without front propshaft as well.

I hope we quickly can get to the bottom of this, for all of us, 'cause it's all but a pleasant drive!

Ok, think I've sussed it -

Big improvement since I changed the track rod ends - there wasn't much wear in them at all, but it's really improved the shaking and taken the violence out of it.

There is still some low speed shaking though, and it looks like the root cause is probably some play in the swivel which was picked up at the mot - the wheel can rock in the 6-12 o'clock position and you can see the hub moving in relation to the chrome ball.

I've always avoided messing with the swivels so not familiar with em - can the swivel bearings be adjusted slightly to take up the play??

Spent last night trying to sort everything out, some minor adjustements to eliminate play in the bearings, replaced the bushes in the adjustable Panhard with standard LR bushes (which did require machining the head) and the shakes seem to be gone! :)

I hope it stays that way, this weekend I'll put the 37s back on...

:D:D:D:D Fiiiiiiiiiiixed iiiiiiiittt!! :D:D:D:D

Thought the track rod ends had sorted the problem but after a few miles it came back - checked play in the swivels, and it was rocking slightly from 12-6 o clock.

Took a shim out of the top swivel and all nice and tight again and the wobbles have gone.

Simple innit :rolleyes:

:D:D:D:D Fiiiiiiiiiiixed iiiiiiiittt!! :D:D:D:D

Thought the track rod ends had sorted the problem but after a few miles it came back - checked play in the swivels, and it was rocking slightly from 12-6 o clock.

Took a shim out of the top swivel and all nice and tight again and the wobbles have gone.

Simple innit :rolleyes:

only simple when you've found the problem part, good to hear your wobbles :wacko: have gone :i-m_so_happy: