not a landie, but still need help!

jameslwt

:ph34r: I know, Iknow. It's not a Landie, but getting frustrated...

Been trying to help my sister out with no luck, so said I would ask you guys...... :ph34r: already tried the Mondeo owners Forum, with little joy.

So here goes.... it's a 1996 1.8 16v and it keeps cutting out. Previously you could stick it in neutral as you saw the rev counter die, pump the gas and it would pick up again. Now, if you stick it in neutral, it cuts out altogether, even if you,m pump the gas, then when you re-start it the revs shoot right up into the red before settling down. Whenever slowinjg down, especially to a halt, it nearly always dies.

So......It's been looked at by a mobile mechanic who hooked it up to a laptop, with no joy (except damp around the leads), it's been dynotuned, I've replaced the fuel filter etc. It's also got new plugs. Any other ideas before I give in and take it to a main dealer? (!!)

Looking in the haynes manual, there is a fuel cut out switch in the passenger side footwell. Now this area was getting majorly flooded due to a leak around the pollen filter - any ideas if this might be the issue?

Potentiometer? ECU?

Cheers

James

I have the 2-litre 16v Ghia. If you unplug the throttle sensor the revs should go up (it does on mine anyway). The fuel cut-off should only operate in an impact or roll over and you have to reset it when it trips. I doubt you would have a problem with it unless it actually trips and then you would know because you would have to reset it. If the fault was permanent I would go for an air leak within the vaccuum system - either one of the many vaccuum hoses, or perhaps brake servo leak. I would imagine it is fuel or fuel control that is the problem. When you turn the ignition on you should hear the pump run for a few seconds to get the pressure up and then stop. Once the engine is running then the pump runs continuously and unused fuel is spilled back to the tank via the injector rail. This engine does have a bit of a reputation with faulty coil packs, but I don't think it would cause the engine to rev, just splutter, run rough, or conk out. You don't have a leak between the MAF sensor and the inlet do you? this would confuse the ECU and may cause the engine to rev and die at any time. It's very difficult to diagnose this sort of problem with actually experiencing it first hand. The engine is riddled with sensors and some make a big difference to how it runs as they are all linked to the ECU.

Les.

Sounds similar to when you run a Hotwire system with no road speed / gearbox transducer - could be worth a check if it has one (modern stuff seems to have a sensor for everything, and rely on them rather too much <_< )

Is there such thing as a Mondeo Owners' club / forum you could ask?

Sounds similar to when you run a Hotwire system with no road speed / gearbox transducer - could be worth a check if it has one (modern stuff seems to have a sensor for everything, and rely on them rather too much <_< )

Is there such thing as a Mondeo Owners' club / forum you could ask?

Cheers guys

will look into the above suggestions.

Fridge - there is a mondeo's owner's club, but didn't get far with them, and figured as most people on here are pretty mechanically minded and thus more help - as proved by the responses! :D

there are a number of sensor faults that could cause this, some have been mentioned (vss and throttle pot)

vss the ecu would almost certainly flag a code about so i'd discount that

throttle pot could be reading A value but not the right value which the ecu wouldn't notice so that's an option

as is the idle control valve, it sounds kinda probable it could be a sticking valve, especially with the massive revving when it restarts, as the ecu will open valve to try & get idle back up but its stuck eventually it'll unstick at a huge opening value hence mad revs

i'd remove and clean the idle valve first, then see what happens!

a good ford website would be www.passionford.com although it leans towards the performance models a little

actually re-reading your initial post, u dont specify when it cuts out...

is it while driving normally? while dipping clutch and slowing for junctions?

it seems your suggesting it loses all power while your driving along which is a very different problem to stalling at lights or junctions...

please clarify for us!

actually re-reading your initial post, u dont specify when it cuts out...

is it while driving normally? while dipping clutch and slowing for junctions?

it seems your suggesting it loses all power while your driving along which is a very different problem to stalling at lights or junctions...

please clarify for us!

Used to be when just slowing, but now started to do it when driving normally, ie cruising at 40mph and all power just goes

ok in that case its a bit unlikely to be idle valve etc

problem is its either sparks or fuel

fuel pump relay and the pump itself could be dieing

the crank sensor could be failing or the coilpack itself,

the biggest problem is unless the fault remains for a time you cant easily diagnose it, perhaps replace crank sensor & fuel relay as they're both pretty cheap and see how it goes?

oh another point to check, is the engine to chassis earth strap, if it fails you'll get those exact symptoms!