Door adjustment...

Orange

I'm trying to solve a couple of issues with the doors on my 02 plate TD5...

1) The seal around the top of the rear door (boot) doesn't work very well (I know it's a Land Rover, but it's not a Defender!!!). If the wind is in the right direction, or , as I found out yesterday, you are jet-washing it off, water runs past the seal and ends up on the rear load cover.

2) The front passenger door has an annoying wind noise from the top rear corner...

My question is the same as the title, really. Before I crack the nice shiny paint off of the bolts, is there any adjustment in the mountings/hinges, or do I live with the rear door and bend the passenger one in a bit, redneck styleeee??

TIA

Adrian

Most door seals will leak if you point a 2000psi water jet at them! I expect you can loosen the bolts and adjust the hinges on the back door, and on the side doors, I think you can slacken off the bolts holding the door top on (the black bit that wraps round the window is separate) and twiddle it a bit, though I have never had to do this.

I'm not pointing the pressure washer at it :rolleyes: , I just noticed it when I was washing the car and when I looked closer there are water marks on the load cover. Never seen a pool of water on there, but it must only be when the wind blows against the back of the car!

As for the front door, It's goot to know that the top and bottom are separate.......do you happen to know if all of the trim fixings will break off if I try to remove the trim from the front door???? I have this sneaking suspicion that they will! :rolleyes: !

I'm not pointing the pressure washer at it :rolleyes: , I just noticed it when I was washing the car and when I looked closer there are water marks on the load cover. Never seen a pool of water on there, but it must only be when the wind blows against the back of the car!

As for the front door, It's goot to know that the top and bottom are separate.......do you happen to know if all of the trim fixings will break off if I try to remove the trim from the front door???? I have this sneaking suspicion that they will! :rolleyes: !

get a trim removal tool from your local assessory shop, they aint too much money and work well, alternatively, tell your mates your car has an en-suite, they'll be well impressed!!

get a trim removal tool from your local assessory shop, they aint too much money and work well, alternatively, tell your mates your car has an en-suite, they'll be well impressed!!

forgot to say, why are you washing a landy? theymze sposed to be dirty!

The wife said, and I quote...

"If you expect me to get in that when we go on holiday, you've got another thing coming!!! We'll take my car!!!"

Her car is an Astra estate which Vauxhall couldn't even be bothered to line the steering wheel up with the drivers seat!! Plus, she doesn't really like driving my car, so I get to do all the fun driving around the Lake District next week!!

Orange

Not sure about over here but, in Oz, you could buy a double thickness seal. It was introduced to keep the bulldust out. I have one fitted to my Discovery and it really does work. The people I brought it off just called it a "double bubble".

HTH

Ivan

Orange

Not sure about over here but, in Oz, you could buy a double thickness seal. It was introduced to keep the bulldust out. I have one fitted to my Discovery and it really does work. The people I brought it off just called it a "double bubble".

HTH

Ivan

Ooooh...thats what I want too! I get dust and water leaks pat my rear door too. There's no sign of the door dropping on the hinges. Perhaps the seals are just past their best as far as being compressed is concerned.

If you can give an indication of who sells the double seal that would be great. My pilot mates are in and out of Oz quite a bit...I could arrange for a pick up.

Can you post a close up picture by any chance?

Thx.

S.

I'll take a picture tonight. I brought the seal from a 4x4 place in Melbourne. Unfortunately I can't remember the name. I am sure they said it was a part available from Land Rover Oz. If anyone on here from Melbourne can help with the name I am sure they were in the Dandenong area. They also used to rent spare parts, roofracks etc for trips. I rented my roofrack off them and ended up buying it when I got back from my trip.

Rgds

Ivan

Hi Orange

just done this on my Disco due to the fact that you could almost see light through the top edge!

I opened the rear door fully, and slackened all 3 of the lower hinge bolts on the body side and 2 of the uppers at his stage. I then supported the rear corner of the open door with a highlift and a block of wood (helps if you have help but I managed on my own). Thenm loosen the remaining bolt on the top hinge and lift the jack one notch. You should see the hinge plate move inwards visibly on the top bolts. Tighten a bolt on the top and bottom and try the door out. In my case I then had to adjust the anti rattle bracket on the other side to compensate but the top of the door had moved in a good cm or more. Finally tighten the bolts all round.

I also know of someone removing the seal from the toip edge and tapping the metal strip it sits on outwards with a soft faced mallet to get a better seal that way. Mind you its not suprising the rear doors drop with the weight of the spare wheel on it all the time.

HTHs

Mark