O/T 240v question

Les Henson

Well I had a slight accident when replacing an MCB in the mains box today. I had problems with the 15amp item tripping every time I used the MIG on a high power setting, so I decided to replace it with a 30amp one insted. £16 later and I turned off the mains, removed the old unit and fitted the new one. Befor I reconnected the power to the shed I thought I had best make sure everything was ok so far so I switched the mains back on. Unfortunately I had somehow caused an short to the earth plate and there was an almighty flash and bang, followed by the mains cutting off. I removed the MCB, checked it (looked ok), so I refitted it and this time turned the mains back on with a long bit of wood. Yet again a flash and loud bang and once again the mains went off :angry: After some help from Lesmond it turns out that the first short had left a carbon track on the MCB, so that's why it went bang the second time. So a trip to probably the last huge MCB in the whole of wiltshire, and this time £22 lighter I finally got it fixed and working. Some slight explosive damage to the earth plate though, and even more scared of electricity than I was before. :unsure:

Earth plate in the fuse box.

med_gallery_2_315_383965.jpg

The new 1st MCB on the right with a partially melted contact.

med_gallery_2_315_1200366.jpg

Les.

:lol:

I shall henceforth call you "Nigel" due to your new found electrical prowess :ph34r:

Is anyone on here a domestic electrician that could give me some advice via pm please?

Thanks

Les.

With hindsight?

"Don't" :lol:

And I thought the Part P Regs were a waste of time?

They are....to qualify that I mean they probably will/have done little to save lives but done a lot to line the pockets of thieving sponging electricians... present company excepted of course... ;)

This is why a lot of folks will find ways around the regs....

They are....to qualify that I mean they probably will/have done little to save lives but done a lot to line the pockets of thieving sponging electricians... present company excepted of course... ;)

I'll think you will find most Electricians did not want it...The NICEIC (other money grabbing B@surds are available) are doing very nicley though ! :angry:

All part P has meant to me is very little where i work in an industrial environment anybody can do electrical work if they can blag a job.

If electrcial work needs to be policed then a proper body should be set up like CORGI for the gas fitters.

With my slightly cynical hat on, NICEIC does seem to be heading more and more towards a CORGI type outfit- they seem to be nicely positioned to take on the mantle of being the approved body when the government eventually decides that us mortals aren't allowed to play with electricaltrickery at all in our own homes. I'd put money on part P being tightened further in the future to stop us doing practically anything.

Maybe should re-train as an electrician, register and beat the rush now.....

Looks like you let a good quantity of smoke go for your money :rolleyes:

Maybe should re-train as an electrician, register and beat the rush now.....

You don't need to be an electrician. Joe Public can do his own work under part P, he just has to get it certified by a council jobsworth or qualified person.

You don't need to be an electrician. Joe Public can do his own work under part P, he just has to get it certified by a council jobsworth or qualified person.

Not at the moment, But I'd put money on it changing at some point in the next 10 years......

Also folks.... remember it's just a 'connection' thing.

Even under the CORGI scheme as I understand it I can fit a gas fire/ boiler/hob/oven as long as the last bit of the job i.e. the conection to the supply is carried out by some monkey who knows how to solder a pipe....

Or yet again am I talking cobblers???

The only electrical work I've done in my house is fixing the dodgy wiring done by the professional electriciansmonkeys that installed it in the first place :angry: As long as slapdash/incompetent cretins like this are included in the rosta of 'qualified electricians' part P has no value whatsoever.

Gas is another matter entirely - no way I'm messing with something that could flatten half the street if I cock up* :ph34r:

* although strangely I've no problem with working on my range rovers LPG system, which carries more propane than triggered the Piper Alpha disaster...